Can I use shift register??

Digital Design

Joined Feb 22, 2009
Hi all,
Need help with this table. I would like to build circuit with this.
Can I use a shift register to input the binary format and get the output?
I need to use a 1-bit DIP switch and input Display with a PB switch coupled to a pulser circuit.
What can I do to achieve that?

Attachments

Digital Design

Joined Feb 22, 2009
But i need to keep store the values and keep descending the number from 10 to 0..if NAND gates, will it not possible to store the values?

Thank you

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Assuming the "Display" part is already completed (via 7 Segment driver?):
Use SR latches to the LEDs, and buffer the high 7 bits to the reset of the latches for the "up to 3" column, and the 8th bit buffered to the reset on the "1 column". This would be in addition to the gates for the "Set" conditions (OR Gates) on the bottom 3 bits.

If the display part is not completed, I'd suggest a microcontroller for a single chip solution.

Last edited:

SawabyPlus

Joined Feb 27, 2009
do u want to serially input the binary format?
if so, then yes, u will need a 4-bit serial-in parallel-out shift register. u should use a DIP for data input and a PB to provide a shift signal, or more specifically an edge, to trigger the register.
the outputs LED1-2 should then be implemented by combinational logic using the outputs of the shift register as input.
what's the nature of that display? is it 7-segment?

Digital Design

Joined Feb 22, 2009
Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. Thats what I required to do.

as for my project, I need to input the 4 binary bits (1010 to 0000) - decreasing order
the input can decrease by one or by two depending on user input. How can I implement that?

Thank you.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
An 8 position DIP switch and a load button?

Or do you need to load high nybble/low nybble with a single 4 position DIP switch + "Load" button, using the LEDs as feedback for which nybble is next?

I have seen a schematic for manually controlling a 14 pin LCD display using the high 4/low 4 with a DIP Switch and a "load" button, is this similar to your project?

ETA: Re-Read your last post. Are you looking for an up/down counter that will increment/decrement by either one or two depending on switch positions?