can i use neon lamp to know if the Ac 220v/50Hz source switched on or off ?

Layan_AK

Joined Mar 28, 2017
hi ,,

can i use neon lamp as in fig below with any photo sensor like LDR to know if the Ac 220v/50Hz source switched on or off ?

neon-lamps-250x250.jpeg

ac 220v presence1.jpg

thank you

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
That should work just fine. make sure external light cannot get to the LDR, just the light from the neon lamp.
It may be worth adding a capacitor across R2 so you get a more steady signal.
Are you using a commercial Neon lamp or wiring it yourself? Just remember to be VERY careful around mains!

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
just one point .... Neon has a very specific spectrum , mostly in the red , is your LDR sensitive to this ?? if the neon and LDR are very close it will probably be OK.

Layan_AK

Joined Mar 28, 2017
That should work just fine. make sure external light cannot get to the LDR, just the light from the neon lamp.
It may be worth adding a capacitor across R2 so you get a more steady signal.
Are you using a commercial Neon lamp or wiring it yourself? Just remember to be VERY careful around mains!

i want to buy the lamp and ldr and put them in black tube or cover them using heatshrink ^^
if i want to connect the output of the circuit to interrupt pin of any micro-controller should i modify the circuit ? or adding the capacitor across R2 enough?

regards :)

just one point .... Neon has a very specific spectrum , mostly in the red , is your LDR sensitive to this ?? if the neon and LDR are very close it will probably be OK.
i will put them as close as possible ^^

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
if i want to connect the output of the circuit to interrupt pin of any micro-controller should i modify the circuit ? or adding the capacitor across R2 enough?
To work a uC input the voltage must cross the input thresholds and by selecting the resistor value that should be possible, especially if you make sure all external light is excluded.

mtcjo

Joined Jun 18, 2018
Hi ,

I tried the circuit with 10uf ,it worked fine .

But when I used push button with indication lamp across it the neon lamp became on, even the button not pressed .

Also I tried to use 220v coil relay to get logic signal .. it worked fine but if button has an indication lamp across it the relay became on when the button pressed or not .

Can I solve this problem ?

Thank you

mtcjo

Joined Jun 18, 2018
The problem :There are 5 buttons in parallel each one with indication lamp across it.. and the buttons about 5-15 meters from the circuit .

:(

Thank you