Can i use a 700amp booster pack to run a 300 watt amplifier?

brandongordon2002

Joined Dec 28, 2009
Hey guys i want to buy a Motomaster Eliminator 700A Booster Pack it has 2 cigarette lighters on it and a usb port. I was wondering, could i wire up a cigarette lighter plug to my 300 watt kenwood amplifier and run it off the 700 amp booster pack? It claims to be able to start 4 dead car batteries so id think it would work. The battery inside is a 22amp hour AGM......

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
the amp can draw as much as 25-30 amps. The power booster can handle it.
for awhile. it has a 22ah battery in it.
an important point is the cigarette lighter jack and the gauge wire between the jack and the amp. probably wont carry the current you need. it has overload and short circuit protection. probably set lower than what the amp will be drawing.

better to run the amplifier direct from the jumper cables from the booster or connect heavy cables from the battery in the booster to the amplifier.

rock on!!
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/SolarPortablePower/PowerPacks/PRD~0111591P/Motomaster%2BEliminator%2B700A%2BBooster%2BPack.jsp

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0111551P/reviews.htm

Last edited:

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
22 amp hours divided by how many amps the amplifier is drawing.
for a ballpark answer.
unless you want to get into all that technical stuff

rock-on somemore!!

watts is equal to volts times amps
amps is equal to watts divided by volts
volts is equal to watts divided by amps

Last edited:

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
for a test before you buy,
take the amplifier and hook it straight to a car battery.
crank the tunes wide-as open.
read the current draw while rocking to the groovy tunes and then you will know the battery life you can expect.
be aware that most multimeter current meters have a 10 or 11 amp fuse in them so you will want to use a clamp-on meter.

if you dont have a meter, get ahold of one of your geek buddies, they will have one.

it might be more economical to just get an automotive battery or a deep-cycle battery instead of the jumper box.
more amp hours and they come in many sizes.

ask a battery shop sales dude what is available.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
300W from 12V is a current of 25A.
The 22Ah battery is designed to supply hundreds of Amps for 2 seconds to start a car and is rated to deliver 2.2A for 10 hours, not 22A for 1 hour.
It might deliver 22A for half an hour.

Maybe your amplifier is 300 Whats which is only 30 Watts.

When you discharge the little battery too low then it is destroyed.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
300W from 12V is a current of 25A.
The 22Ah battery is designed to supply hundreds of Amps for 2 seconds to start a car and is rated to deliver 2.2A for 10 hours, not 22A for 1 hour.
It might deliver 22A for half an hour.

Maybe your amplifier is 300 Whats which is only 30 Watts.

When you discharge the little battery too low then it is destroyed.

There Brandon,
there was the technical stuff.