Can I use a 16V/500mA AC power supply with a ~ 15 V 2VA 60 Hz Device?

broomcup

Joined Mar 21, 2018
Hey folks, I need some help finding a power supply for a Pro-Ject Debut iii turntable.
I guess it's possible that I have a different, rare model since the user manuals show something different.
I've already searched the existing forums. And I browsed through the AllAboutCircuits ebook.

Here is a picture of the sticker on the back of the turntable:

I haven't been able to find any documentation online for a model with the "~ 15 V 2VA 60 Hz"
Does the "~ 15" mean "approximately 15?"

All the documentation/user manuals I see online have:
Output voltage: 16V/500mA AC

Would there be any danger in using the wrong adapter? (the 16V.... ?) I don't want to break anything.

Also, how can I know if I need an ac or dc adapter?

Thanks so much in advance!
I'm a circuit noob.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The probably "~ 15" means 15 Volts AC.
Wether it is safe to use the 16 Volts transformer depends on the internal circuit of the turntable (wich we do not know at the moment).

Bertus

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
You might try putting a small load on that transformer, that might just reduce it enough, if you are worried.

The transformer "should" have more than enough power for a dummy load and the turntable.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A couple diodes antiparallel to each other, in series with one of the power lines, would drop the AC voltage about 1.4V.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The 16V AC 500mA supply will not work as the turntable label says it needs a 2Amp, or 2000mA supply.
Your 16V one does not have the current capacity. If it was 16V 2A it may work but just 500mA sounds like it will be overloaded.