Can I source 5V through the USB port of raspberry pi to connect to the Vcc pin of microcontroller

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mohit_enthusiastnoob, Jul 12, 2017.

1. mohit_enthusiastnoob

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    My design requires a usb power source from the host computer to give power to the microcontroller. I am using a raspberry Pi which has 4 USB type A ports. I figured I could use the power pin and ground pin of one of those ports to connect to that of the microcontroller's power pin and GND pin(the Raspberry Pi is getting its separate power supply through its micro USB port, so powering the pi is no issue). I also plan to use the Datain and Dataout of the USB port to get data serially from my PIC microcontroller.
    Can this be done? If not, how can I make sure my microcontroller gets its power through a USB port. What are the cons of this aproach if any?

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Depends on the current requirements. A USB Port may supply 100 mA to another device without much trouble. If the external device wants more it must negotiate that with the Pi. Do you know if the Pi can handle that negotiation?

3. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    probably - most microcontrollers are pretty frugal, but another development board; probably not.