can i run LEDs on 12V AC ? (trying to keep a bike street legal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diymirage

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Hi guys,

this is my first post here because im totally lost when it comes to this electronics deal
so, here is what i am working on, i have a 1996 kawasaki KDX 200 motorcycle
the bike has a lighting coil that puts out about 35 watts and it has a 12v30w headlight and a 12v10w taillight

i want to replace the taillight with a 1157 LED light bulb so i can run a decent taillight/brake light combo

i have also added a set of indicators with 2 12v10w lightbulbs on each side (most likely 916 bulbs)
i want to replace the 916s with LEDs aswell

once i had everything hooked up i noticed the turn signals didnt work
i took out the flasher unit and hooked up the hot wire directly to the wire that goes to the switch and now all the lights work but the do not flash

so, here are my 3 questions

1 where can i find a flasher that will work on a 12 volt AC system and can also handle LEDs without them flashing too fast?

2 can i run LEDs on a AC system or do i need to ad some gizmos and if so which ones ?

3 would it be better to just ad in a rectifier? keeping in mind that im only running a 35W stator and i dont have any voltage/wattage to spare

thanks guys, ill try and post a diagram after church to keep things even more understandable

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Not only is this an automotive question, a forbidden topic here, but you freely admit that you have little knowledge.

this is my first post here because im totally lost when it comes to this electronics deal
Please seek help from a qualified mechanic/auto electrician before something nasty happens, like an accident or being run in by the cops for having illegal lights.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Unfortunately, the All About Circuits forum Administrative Team has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_tos.html
Namely, automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden.
Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please understand the reasons behind this action and bear no grudge.
Feel free to tread on the rest of the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Status
Not open for further replies.