Can I run a Arduino with DC motors with 1 amp 18650 batteries?

obmai89

Joined Jan 31, 2020
I want to make a rechargable battery pack for my Arduino car, I was wondering if I can run it off 6x 2400mAh 1amp Li-ion batteries?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Maybe.
  1. How are the batteries configured? Series? Parallel? Series and parallel?
  2. How much current does the motor draw?
  3. How long do you want it to run?

obmai89

Joined Jan 31, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

Maybe.
  1. How are the batteries configured? Series? Parallel? Series and parallel?
  2. How much current does the motor draw?
  3. How long do you want it to run?
Thanks, so, the motors (individually) draw from 70mA to max 240mA, the batteries are going to be connected in parallel. I'd like the car to be able to run for at least a hour or two without needing to recharge, I think the batteries should have the juice for that.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Have a look for "MT3608" on Ebay.
MT3608_Boost.png

I have not used them, but they sound like a way to go.
Set the output to 5V to run the Arduino. or even 7V is you want to use the Arduino's regulator. That will have a bit more loss, but compared to the motor current, not much.

obmai89

Joined Jan 31, 2020
View attachment 198031

Set the output to 5V to run the Arduino. or even 7V is you want to use the Arduino's regulator. That will have a bit more loss, but compared to the motor current, not much.
View attachment 198031

I have something similar. Ok so, if I connect the batteries is series the voltage would add up so I would have enough to power everything, right?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Those boost converters will give you the 5V from a 2V or better input, so just keep the batteries in parallel.

But, you may need to step back a bit..
Set the batteries up to suit the motors you are to use. That will dictate if they are serial or parallel.
Then decide if you need a boost or buck regulator for the Arduino.