Can i measure the induction motor parameters with measurement tools?

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
Hello
I want to model an induction motor as described here. I must calculate the model parameters as described here. My questions are:
Can i measure the DC resistance with DMM and inductances with LCR meter?
How can i measure or calculate the reactive power of motor?
Thanks

Oguzhan17

Joined Feb 19, 2021
I assume it is a 3 phase induction motor.

With a simple multimeter, you can measure the resistance of each phase (actually corresponds to R1 in the first link that you shared). Let us name the phase resistance of each phase as ra, rb and rc. In resistance mode, if you measure between phase A and phase B, you would get (ra+rb). Similarly, if you measure between phase A and C, you would get (ra+rc) and if you measure between phase B and C, you would get (rb+rc). Ideally, all ra, rb and rc would be almost equal.

Similarly, using a LCR meter, you can phase inductance of each phase (it corresponds to jX1 in the first link that you shared). Similarly if you connect LCR meter between phase A and B, you would get sum of inductances of phase A and B. Of course LCR meter would give you inductance value, so you have to multiply it with 2*pi*f to get jX1 value.

The inductance of the motor would also depend on current and frequency. But for low frequencies (lower than a couple of tens of kHz I mean) and currents you can assume that what LCR meter measures is also valid during operation.