Can I invert phase of 120VAC to get 240VAC?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dalbert, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. dalbert

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jan 1, 2006
    Can I generate 240VAC by feeding 120VAC through a 1:1 isolation transformer to generate 120VAC that is 180-degrees out-of-phase with the mains, tying one end of the isolation transformer secondary to AC neutral (to ground reference it)? I should then have 120VAC with a 180-degree phase shift on the other end of the secondary and 240VAC between that end and the original AC hot wire. Is this OK?
  2. Dcrunkilton

    E-book Co-ordinator

    Jul 31, 2004
    Yes, you can do it. Wire it up and connect a voltmeter between the two points where you expect to get 240 VAC. If you get closer to 0V than 240 V, then reverse the secondary wires and try again for 240 V.
    What you propose is the same thing as an autotransformer once you put your wiring in place.
  3. Gadget

    Distinguished Member

    Jan 10, 2006
    Note, the 240 volts will no longer be isolated from the input.