Can I increase the 5V amparage without destroying my arduino uno

Miquel19

Joined Aug 16, 2020
All of which is true people, but the TS was specifically asking about the 5v rail output when powering from Vin.

He was confused because he couldn't see how the discussion on pin capacity and switching transistors applied to his situation, which it doesn't.

The discussion on the 5v output is relevant, and we ascertained he will almost certainly exceed that at some point as he develops his software and starts exercising the peripherals.
Yeah, I was getting confused. But I'm more or less getting it. Thanks for your amazing advice guys.

Miquel19

Joined Aug 16, 2020
No problem.

Incidentally are you connecting the switched supply from the battery to the Arduino through the Vin pin or via the barrel jack?
With Vin pin with 9V. I had also used some 12V power supply, but using that I broke 2 Arduino Uno boards (not the original ones). For this reason I'm using 9V, maybe using the limit it was so much for those copies.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
12v will overheat the 5v regulator on some cheap clones. In theory a good regulator will shut down safely but, again, there are 'fake' chips that are greatly simplified internally...

7 - 9v is the best input for the on-board regulator, or don't use it at all...

In theory the Vin pin is limited to about 1.5A but it can be problematic if you don't have a good connection, so the barrel jack is preferred.

But if you're powering everything off the external switching supply (except the Arduino side of the level shifter) then using Vin is acceptable...