can i disconnect dc/ac inverter fan, if i know the constant power output?

racmaster

Joined Feb 13, 2018
... to disable the noise.

for example, i plan to use 1000W 12vdc to 230vac inverter to supply power for electronical circulation water pump, which adjusts its power based on circumstances between 5W and maximum 45W. nothing else will be connected to this inverter.

i know especially those mosfets and diodes needs cooling but i found an info they can work under quiet high temperatures and if only 5% of power is used, the current flowing accross them should not be high enough to make them die because of hightemp... thats the basic idea. question is, if the inverter will be able to work without fan just with original passive cooler...?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You probably could disconnect the fan - BUT it all depends on the design of this sytem.
How much cooling would still be available without the fan?
Are there other components which disipate the same heat whether the output is loaded or not and which rely on the cooling from the fan.

You can try it AT YOUR OWN RISK.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You probably could disconnect the fan - BUT it all depends on the design of this sytem.
How much cooling would still be available without the fan?
Are there other components which disipate the same heat whether the output is loaded or not and which rely on the cooling from the fan.

You can try it AT YOUR OWN RISK.
AND you should know that there indeed IS a risk.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You can do a simple experiment like this. With no load on the inverter apply power and measure the current and the voltage. then disconnect the fan and do it again, measuring the current and voltage. THAT amount of power is the minimum that gets turned into heat, so that amount of power is what heat must be removed by some means.

But if the only complaint is that the fan is too noisy, there are quiet fans made. So a risk-free alternative is to install a quieter fan.

racmaster

Joined Feb 13, 2018
im thinking about something, that will not only turn the fan on/off but will slow down the fan based on temeprature. question is how to do it smart and cheap...