Can I connect this Thermostat to my Heat Pump?

JPux

Joined Jan 28, 2023
Hi all, and tx in advance for your help.

I have a TRANE Heat Pump (model MWD530AB00B) with an old thermostat THS-02.
I've bought a new Smart Thermostat (Beca BHP 6000) to replace the old THS-02 one. Both are 24V, but when reading the tech specs, I've seen something that makes me doubt whether it's fully compatible with my heat pump. And I would strongly appreciate your view.

In the manual of the THS-02 (pag 9) it says "Current amp up to 0.5A direct per output with max peaks at 1A", and in the new thermostat it says "Current Load: 1A (Inductive) 3A (Resistance)"
1674932486755.png

Question: Will I burn the Heat Pump unit if I replace the THS-02 with the new thermostat? Since these are outpuc specs, I'm not quite sure how to read these Current specs.

Thanks,
J

FYIO: This is the current wiring of the THS-02 manual, and the wiring of the new thermostat would be as follows:

1674933022738.png

Attachments

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Current amp up to 0.5A direct per output with max peaks at 1A", and in the new thermostat it says "Current Load: 1A (Inductive) 3A (Resistance)"
Those are just the maximum ratings of the switches.
The load will draw the current it needs and, as long as it's below the switches ratings, you are fine.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Consider that neither thermostat is independently powered. That tells you that it does not have an active output that delivers power, but rather a passive output of circuit switching. So as long as the connections are correct the thermostat can not cause a problm like that.

JPux

Joined Jan 28, 2023
Thanks all for the info.
I've installed the BHP 6000 thermostat according to the wiring scheme above and so far all seems to work fine.