Can I connect my circuit board to balance leads on a LIPO battery?

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

I have made this project with a Jumping Jack Santa:

Powered by a 2 cell 7.4v Lipo battery. The circuit runs at 6 volt.

I was wondering if I could power the circuit board through the balancer leads in stead of the power leads on the battery?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Why would you want to do that?

Balancer leads are connected so each battery can be assessed and charged separately. They are also usually not designed for operational current of the device being powered.

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
What I have learned from YT is that LIPO batterie cells is designet to be balanced separately by DIScharging through balance leads. So I was wondering why it shouldn't be possible to power up a circuit board also which in my head would be the same as discharging/balancing. But that is why I am asking you experts. :)

I am aware of the limited current the balancer leads have. But that shouldn't be a problem in this case.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It was not a question of whether, but why? You seem to recognize that the balancing leads will not provide the full voltage of the lipo pack and are intended for balancing.

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
I would like to use the JST connection that the batteries are provided with when bought instead of using the power connection which I have to cut off and solder new wires to it.

Do you know why the balancer leads won't provide the full voltage? What I have seen on YT is that the first and last wire in the JST for balancer leads are connected to each end of the cells in series and therefor should provide 7.4 volt. Have I learned wrong?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It is correct that two leads are attached across the full battery. Obviously, those connections are necessary to balance those the two cells to which they are connected:
1607873252492.png

Why did you bother asking here? My point was that neither those leads nor connector are designed for high current. If you stay within those limits, there should be no problem.