Can I change the rotation of this electric motor?

OGRE

Joined May 31, 2013
I just got done rebuilding this drill press. I did the powder coating on it. Replaced all its bearings. Soaked all parts for days in my electrolysis tanks (rust removal). Swapped the 1/2 hp motor for a 3/4. Had to tear it apart as well. Had years of dirt and grime inside. Added link belts to minimize vibration. Finally got this thing back together yesterday. I go out today just to try it out on some 3/16 metal I had and it would only make but a small indentation in the metal. I try changing speeds and still no luck even drilling in wood.
Turns out the motor is turning CCW :mad::( Took me way to long to figure this was my problem lol...Anyway, I really dont want to spend money on another motor unless I have no other option. It says rotation can't be changed, but is there some way to do this without having the windings redone???? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are 2 ways to reverse a non-reversible motor; mount it upside down or assemble it with the shaft sticking out the other end. One is difficult and the other seems impossible.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Can't tell from the picture. Is that a start capacitor (red) or part of the mount?
If it is, disconnect it.

Motor will not start.
Give it a reverse spin to start.

If that works there may be a way.

OGRE

Joined May 31, 2013
Can't tell from the picture. Is that a start capacitor (red) or part of the mount?
If it is, disconnect it.

Motor will not start.
Give it a reverse spin to start.

If that works there may be a way.
yes that is the cap.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Max and inwo have 2 good ideas that I didn't think of.
Personally, I'd be lost trying to find the ends of the windings and reversing them, but push starting it backwards seems achievable. Depends on exactly how it's built. Please report back here if you get lucky.

OGRE

Joined May 31, 2013
Just tried running it without the cap with no luck. I went ahead and opened the motor back up. Not sure exactly which wires I would try to switch:confused:

OGRE

Joined May 31, 2013
What's the gizmo mounted on the end plate? Does this thing have a centrifugal switch?
I don't think so. the red and yellow are the leads from the windings that connect to it. theres a black wire that comes from the thermal protection switch that connects to it also.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are essentially two windings, being a 2 pole motor, you can see the two distinct windings, in a uni-directional motor, the ends of the start winding and run winding are connected together.
The start winding goes through the centrifugal switch, red and yellow, the trouble is the junction may be buried a little under other windings as it was never intended to be exposed.
Of the two windings, one has to be reversed WRT to the other.
Max.

Aikixtal

Joined Apr 6, 2014
how would I determine which is which?
The startup winding would most likely have the starter cap on it.

The motor is driving a pulley, yes? Why not put another pulley or gear in line with the drill mechanism that reverses the drill mechanism rather than futzing with the motor?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Does the power connect to Yellow(switch) and black (thermal device)?

You may have to dig out those splices to find the other end of windings.
They seem visible in picture.

It looks like there are 4 leads going into the windings. If there are only two windings as Max suggests, trial and error with power limited may find the right connection.

I'm afraid that there may be more windings. Often there are two run windings for series parallel. (120/240)

The start winding (5&8 when numbered) is then in parallel to one of the run windings. Always seeing 120V whether connected 120 0r 240.

I'm puzzled as to why you couldn't get motor to run without cap in circuit.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The black lead going to the thermal overload switch is the primary power lead.

The blue and orange are the feeds to the run and start windings. The other ends would be the yellow and red leads.

Which ever lead is the opposite end of the red lead that went to the start capacitor is the other end of your start winding. Just switch those end to end or flip the run winding leads end to end to reverse your motor.

Electric Al

Joined Nov 6, 2013
If you are not sure , and you want to use this motor , my advice would be .....

Take it in to a motor repair shop , I am sure they will be able to help you .

To hard to diagnose from a picture !