Can I change the LED of voltage regulator?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hello! I have a secure brand voltage regulator for computer
and i would like to know if i can change its red LED to blue LED!!!
Yes, I see no reason you cannot change the color of the LED as long as you are comfortable removing and replacing the LED. Make sure the board is not a multilayer PCB.

A red LED has a slightly lower forward voltage and, if you were going from blue to red, there is a small chance that the red LED would draw more current than the blue one. So if switching from red to blue, I might be tempted to add a resistor to further limit the current. All this would only matter if the LED is being driven to near its maximum rated current. That would not be necessary for an indicator light. For instance a 20mA LED will make plenty of light at 5mA.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If the LED is on a circuit board, it might be safer just to clip the leads of the original LED close to the LED body and then solder the new LED to those LEDs on the board.
That avoids having to unsolder the leads and possibly damaging the board.

Richavit Tampus Pasibog

Joined May 6, 2019
Yes, I see no reason you cannot change the color of the LED as long as you are comfortable removing and replacing the LED. Make sure the board is not a multilayer PCB.

A red LED has a slightly lower forward voltage and, if you were going from blue to red, there is a small chance that the red LED would draw more current than the blue one. So if switching from red to blue, I might be tempted to add a resistor to further limit the current. All this would only matter if the LED is being driven to near its maximum rated current. That would not be necessary for an indicator light. For instance a 20mA LED will make plenty of light at 5mA.

Thank you very much!!! It helped me a lot. Thanks!! :)