can i add a switch to a degaussing coil

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
hi all
can i add a switch to a degaussing coil i took from an old tv to degause other televisions?

Yes. That's what every TV technician I've known has done. Leave the coil intact but loop it into a smaller size without twisting (usually 3 loops)
and use a momentary switch with at least a 10A rating.
If possible, mount it in a sturdy plastic housing like the ones used for electrical fish tapes or metal detector coils.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
hi all
can i add a switch to a degaussing coil i took from an old tv to degause other televisions?
Hi ranks. Welcome to AAC! :)

[EDITED]

Most TVs already have built-in de-gaussing coils (hence the one you removed from an old tv) and you do not usually need an external one. Every time you turn on your TV, the internal coil powers up. All you really have to do is just turn your TV on and off repeatedly. It should get rid of most of the problem. If it doesn't, that's when you go for an external one.

Good luck!
Regards,
Der Strom

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Every time you turn on your TV, the internal coil powers up. All you really have to do is just turn your TV on and off repeatedly. It should get rid of most of the problem.

The TV will need to be turned off for 20-30 minutes between degauss shots to allow the thermistor that turns off the degauss coil after a few seconds to cool sufficiently, else repeated cycling of the power will not provide a strong degauss shot.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The TV will need to be turned off for 20-30 minutes between degauss shots to allow the thermistor that turns off the degauss coil after a few seconds to cool sufficiently, else repeated cycling of the power will not provide a strong degauss shot.
20-30 minutes? I'm thinking 20-30 seconds is enough, if you turn it on and turn it off immediately. I did it to my own television set before and half a minute was plenty.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
hi all
Yes. However, you should know that the demagnetizing effect is due to the DECREASING magnetic AC field. This is one reason why they use a PTC in series with the coil. If you want the same effect without a thermistor you will need to move the coil slowly away from the object to be demagnetitized.

Professional degaussing equipments use more complex methods for degaussing ferromagnetic objects.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
20-30 minutes? I'm thinking 20-30 seconds is enough, if you turn it on and turn it off immediately. I did it to my own television set before and half a minute was plenty.

Degauss circuits vary as does the need for manual degaussing, especially after moving or reorienting the TV. I wanted to make the O.P. aware of the cool down issue. Even if the set allows the degauss coil to fire at full power repeatedly in a short time, you need to be concerned about overheating the degauss coil itself.