Can CAT-5 be used for wire wrap?

parkerea

Joined Oct 16, 2011
SUMMARY:

Can CAT-5 cable be stripped and wrapped around a standard wire wrap post?

BACKGROUND:

I will be building a small wire wrap project (~10 ICs) that needs to connect to a bunch of RJ-45 jacks (~20). I have a simple 30 AWG "hand turn" manual wire wrap tool. I would like to wire directly from the wire wrap sockets to the RJ-45 jacks, stripping & straightening one end of some CAT-5 for the wire wrap side, and punch down the other end of the CAT-5 for the RJ-45 side.

I see there are 24 gauge wire wrap tools. Can I wire wrap with straightened CAT-5? This is a personal project; it does not need to be MIL-Spec or anything fancy.

Thank you in advance,
parkerea

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Yes, but use the regular 30 gauge for all interconnects that don't require a punchdown on the other end and consider soldering over the 24 gauge wrap since it's not plated. Remember that the CAT-5 runs from the RJ-45 connectors rely on their twist to maintain their speed rating.

parkerea

Joined Oct 16, 2011
Thank you all for your input. I will part with about $85 to buy a 24 gauge wire wrap tool. (Odd, when I got into electronics back in the 70's, I was a poor college student, and I swear all this stuff was a lot more affordable...)

Thanks again,
parkerea