Can anyone tell me about USB wireless modems

newbie08

Joined May 20, 2008
You have external wireless modems and also the USB ones. I am want to know, what is inside a USB modem.

* Do you need the stick that long.
* Is the circuit located inside the stick or in the holder, is it a complex design.
* What is the raw cost for a USB wireless modem.
* Do you need special thing to do for it supporting both linux & windows.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
From the link - http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Wireless-Network.html - the modem uses Bluetooth to do the wireless part.

Raw cost is going to be less than the retail price, but then you have to make the device in quantity to get component costs down, and also to amortize the expense of programming the internal controllers.

You can get the spec's for both USB and Bluetooth protocols online.

If Linux supports the USB standard, then the USB may be supported - does Linux need a drive at the conputer end to identify and send data through it?

What I want to know is why Windows insists on mapping a USB device in as a drive, which makes them a pain to use in a networked environment.

newbie08

Joined May 20, 2008
Than you so much for explaining this to me.

Were you saying about USB wireless modem or USB wireless lan connection etc. ( though I do not know the technical difference if any).

I have a Sterlite ADSL modem that seats in the stack. It says wireless and also got an antenna, but the phone line needs to be pass through it. So I guess the wireless thing in it is an option to connect the PC via wireless port etc. (now I have a wire comes from the modem to PC's USB port.

I wanted to know inside the USB stick that connects the internet directly; usually sold by the ISPs themselves. That is certainly not WIFI. as you do not need to be in a WIKI spot...

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I can't follow your second post very well. Here is a link to the Wikipedia article about wireless modems - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_modem.

As you can see, the modem is connected to the DSL phone line. The link between the computer and the modem is wireless. In the case of the first example I sent a link to, it is through the Bluetooth protocol. There are several other possibilities. I am reasonably sure the manual for the modem covers this.

The USB stick contains the controller for the USB protocol and the one for the wireless RF channel. The manual should tell you what that is. Google will find more specific information about it.

newbie08

Joined May 20, 2008
Are you talking about GPRS or HSDPA USB modem?
Yes YEs YES!:)

Please tell me more about GSM/GPRS/HSDPA USB modems

Kind of this - http://www.laipac.com/gsm-gprs-usb-modem.htm

But some others don't have even the antenna or the USB cable out, just a stick you insert in the USB port. that's it.

My first 4 questions are related to that. + can you use it to connect any ISP if you have a valid UID/PASS ( do you even need a UID/PASS)