can anyone suggest a good book?

CaliusOptimus

Joined Aug 14, 2005
im looking for a comprehensive book about basic electronics. something that goes from resistors, capacitors, inductors, to opamps, transistors, to simple logic all the way up to mosfets and igbt's. im a self taught hobbyist and there are a lot of gaps that need to be filled in. im mostly interested in digital applications, but something that touches on audio and RF circuits would be nice! if a book like this doesnt exist, even though it should, im open to a few books. anything to teach me all i would need to know for hobby shtuff. thanks guys!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
To start with our very own e-book should be a good starting point.

After that, you should look at The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill - its a bit old and the digital stuff has dated quite a bit, but the rudiments of the subject are still there and it deals with the subject from a conceptual rather than mathematical perspective. Also look at Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith - expense but very upto date and comprehensive (although can be a bit heavy on the maths).

I'll also move this to a more appropriate forum.

Dave

Armagguedes

Joined Feb 17, 2007
I like Owen Bishop's books:
Electronics: A First Course (2nd Ed.)
Electronics: Circuits and Systems (2nd Ed.)​

However they do lack somewhat on circuits to build (or at least, some that put to the test what you have learned so far). At least that is my opinion (i train with the experiments on AAC).

Owen Bishop also wrote a lot of small paperbooks about a series of types of projects (filters, sensors, etc). These books are published by Babani Publishing, and are very cheap. [These guys also publish similar books from other established authors in electronics; i recommend them a lot: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Owen Bishop ]

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
Hi,

I recommend two books:

The Benchtop Electronics Reference Manual
written by Victor F. C. Veley
The explanations given in this book can be understood by a beginner.

Secrets Of RF Circuit Design
Written by Joseph J. Carr
This book assumes the reader knows electronics.

The ARRL Handbook For Radio Amateurs is an excellent reference but may progress too fast for a beginner.