Can anyone identify this component?

Teddy2Tummy

Joined Mar 22, 2010
Two copper leads to a glass enclosure 1/4 " x 1 1/4 ". Inside one lead goes to the long side of an inverted "J" 1/4" x and the other lead adjacent and touching the the other. It comes from a simple 12 V. power supply, one transformer and one diode bridge rectifier and itself. Is it a neon tube or a limiting switch? It has the markings " ECG 202 P312 2HAV " on the glass. I am interested in finding it's specifications. Thank you

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Can you post a photo of it?

Neon bulbs generally have a breakdown voltage somewhere in the vicinity of around 55v (give or take) and are pretty low-current. If forced to carry a lot of current, they will burn out in a hurry.

Sylvania became ECG, and ECG was bought out by NTE Inc.
I regard NTE Inc. as a "vulture" electronics distributor, charging enormously inflated prices for obsolete components. They have a cross-reference that naturally only goes one way; to their part numbers. Their prices range from the exorbitant to absurd.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If there is a coil underneath, or very near by, a reed switch is a fair guess. Reed switches are not known for current carrying capability; if subjected to more than 100mA or so, they will burn out in a hurry.

Self-resetting thermal circuit breaker is a better bet.

I'm thinking more like a one-time-use fuse. These are frequently soldered to cheap supply boards.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I regard NTE Inc. as a "vulture" electronics distributor, charging enormously inflated prices for obsolete components. They have a cross-reference that naturally only goes one way; to their part numbers. Their prices range from the exorbitant to absurd.
We joke about NTE that eventually, they will get down to one part number that will replace anything! :confused:
Ever notice how any one of THEIR part numbers can replace up to 20 or more standard manufacturer numbers?