Can anyone help me identify what this symbol is? Still getting familiar with reading schematics.

ZDelta47

Joined May 11, 2021
I was looking at a schematic and came across this symbol. I couldn't understand what it was or what it's being used for. I tried googling what I could. I found that G is generally used for generators and power supplies. I looked up symbols and didn't find anything close enough. Maybe this is old?

Symbol.png

Last edited by a moderator:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

ZDelta47

Joined May 11, 2021
Thank you! I don't know why the circuit said G instead of SG, but reading through everything else, this has to be it!

Thank you so much for all the links. I haven't come across these before, although I've heard of spark gaps. Very clever idea. Is there a significance behind having the arrows filled or unfilled? There was one page I found that showed unfilled arrows meaning protector, but a GDT will protect a circuit anyway, right?

There was no SG designation in the original schematic. They were all labeled G,
As a suggestion to the TS, why not share the entire schematic instead of just a snippet? Context is most helpful in deciphering unfamiliar things.
Yes, that was my confusion as well.

Sorry, the entire schematic was too large. I was hoping people familiar with seeing these pop up would be able to point out; which worked!

ZDelta47

Joined May 11, 2021
Thank you everyone for your replies! While I've messed around a little I still feel new to a lot of this, so I appreciate all the info!

ZDelta47

Joined May 11, 2021
G = GAP. It's a spark gap circuit protector. Labeled with break down voltage and peak current capability. The solid dot indicates gas filled, like mercury vapor to reduce the 'on' resistance.
Thank you, that clears the rest of it up!