Can a beam load cell tell apart which way it bends?

Temeraire

Joined Feb 26, 2019
I have a project where i need to measure a force, which can come from two opposite direction (up and down). So i figured out that a beam load cell would be perfect for force measurement, but i'm not sure about my case. Can a beam load cell "measure" in both directions? If yes then can it make difference in the directions or will it just output the same value independently from the applied force's direction?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If you have a fullbridge beam load cell then the answer is certainly YES. If you have a quarter bridge load cell then the answer is certainly NO. half bridge load cells are more challenging to call.
Be sure to follow the directionas as to which terminals the excitation connects to, since a wrong connection can lead to damage..Also, do not exceed the specified excitation voltage.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Can a beam load cell "measure" in both directions? If yes then can it make difference in the directions or will it just output the same value independently from the applied force's direction?
If it's a full bridged beam the direction of force can be indicated by the polarity of the output signal using a dual supply instrumentation amplifier.
SG

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes, exactly., but the calibration in the two directions may not be identical, depending o the quality and the amount of use the beam has had.
If it's a full bridged beam the direction of force can be indicated by the polarity of the output signal using a dual supply instrumentation amplifier.
SG

Temeraire

Joined Feb 26, 2019
I have a project where i need to measure how much force is applied to the load cell from two opposite directions. Previously with the help of this website i figured out that i could measure in both directions if the load cell is full bridge. I bought a load cell for a very little price, the only problem is that the seller didn't know any of its specification, he just said it works fine and it was used in a huge scale.

I wanted to ask for your help to figure out its model type, so i can find some specification to know how to use it properly (recommended input voltage, max applicable load etc. most importantly is it full bridge or half bridge).

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I would say its a full bridge by looking at the wiring.
The metal section is substantial, say about 90kG max
Typically 5Vdc or 10Vdc, at say 1mV/Volt.
E

AA1 28-Feb-19 12.17.gif