Completed Project Can a 600V 0.25 MFD old wax capacitor be replaced with two parallel 1000V 0.1MFD film capacitor?

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
The brown one that is box shaped - just the end visible? That will be a mica cap. They were very popular a long time ago. New mica caps were typically radial leaded in an epoxy(?) dipped style. Cornell Dubilier made most of that type that I've ever seen. They still have a pretty extensive line.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
The brown one that is box shaped - just the end visible? That will be a mica cap. They were very popular a long time ago. New mica caps were typically radial leaded in an epoxy(?) dipped style. Cornell Dubilier made most of that type that I've ever seen. They still have a pretty extensive line.
I’ve seen a bunch of them inside my Heathkit Oscilloscope. They are pretty accurate.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
C8 => 0.2uF? I think that will be OK. There will be a bit more ripple on the anode of the indicator tube.
For the 8uF, you could use two 16uF in series but you will need some equalising resistors to make sure they share the voltage - perhaps 2x470k.
Hi,
So I replaced the 150V 0.2MF with a 250V 2.2MF film capacitor I had.

While looking at the bottom portion of the circuit it made me really confused when I checked the schematics for the 400V caps. It said there where 3 of them but I could only see one. The other two as per the schematics on the selectors had a different look and I got it confused with two resistors( with the color codes the multimeter didn't give any readings which made me think about dead resistors:rolleyes:). What got me thinking was the person who gave it to me was a TV repairman back in the days. Someone who knows about electronics. So, checked with him and found they are those old color coded caps:D.

Attachments