Campervan 12v Leisure running TV, and Nintendo Switch

Bmouthboyo

Joined Mar 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

New to this forum and I must confess the dark world of electronics! I am confident in my mechanic ability but this is a bit of a new venture for me. I am in the process of restoring my VW T25 / Vanagon and will be soon adding a leisure battery, solar panel etc. I would like to run a low powered TV, Raspberry Pi HTPC and hopefully a Nintendo Switch dock off the 12v system without inverters etc.

I wondered if anyone could just give me reassurance that my avenue of research for this is correct.

The console’s AC adapter is run off a USB C: 15V @ 2.6A, or 39 Watts. If I used a DC - DC step up converter to step the campers 11 - 14.5v to 15v with the correct rated Ampage, would this work?

Can anyone suggest how best to output to a USB C? Splice a cable or any neater solutions?

Thanks

Link to power usage

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi Guys,

New to this forum and I must confess the dark world of electronics! I am confident in my mechanic ability but this is a bit of a new venture for me. I am in the process of restoring my VW T25 / Vanagon and will be soon adding a leisure battery, solar panel etc. I would like to run a low powered TV, Raspberry Pi HTPC and hopefully a Nintendo Switch dock off the 12v system without inverters etc.

I wondered if anyone could just give me reassurance that my avenue of research for this is correct.

The console’s AC adapter is run off a USB C: 15V @ 2.6A, or 39 Watts. If I used a DC - DC step up converter to step the campers 11 - 14.5v to 15v with the correct rated Ampage, would this work?

Can anyone suggest how best to output to a USB C? Splice a cable or any neater solutions?

Thanks

Link to power usage
Inverters (12V DC to 120V AC) are surprisingly efficient. Connect the inverter to your battery and plug your Nintendo into the 120VAC outlet.

If you live in a land of 220/240v, inverters are available there too.

Bmouthboyo

Joined Mar 18, 2017
Inverters (12V DC to 120V AC) are surprisingly efficient. Connect the inverter to your battery and plug your Nintendo into the 120VAC outlet.

If you live in a land of 220/240v, inverters are available there too.
I was under the impressions inverters should be avoided. This is not a large camper and will only have a 120 AH battery.

As I am wiring it up I don't mind the legwork wiring this, hence thought maybe this step up is a good method?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I was under the impressions inverters should be avoided. This is not a large camper and will only have a 120 AH battery.

As I am wiring it up I don't mind the legwork wiring this, hence thought maybe this step up is a good method?
Inverters are a standard solution for solar. The inverter only draws the current needed to power your device. It will be simple and fine. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be.

Mary P

Joined Mar 27, 2021

Hello, did you ever find a way to charge and use the dock with your TV with only a 12v system? I am also wanting to do that with no DC-AC inverter.