Camera to TV connection issue

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I have bought the video camera Samsung SMX-F70BP for my family. I want to connect it directly to the TV, a Panasonic TX-29PS11D.

The camera has an output video adaptor that ends in a composite video RCA connector and another two RCA connectors for Left and Right audio channels.
However, on connection the image appears black and white. The sound is ok.
I twisted the connectors a bit, to make sure it wasn't a bad connection.

Any ideas?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It does sound like a frequency response issue. What kind of cable are you using.

Have you tried it with a different TV/Monitor? It could also be a tolerance issue between the two devices, since color is a single phase shifted frequency embedded in the video signal.

I got a security video camera too, though I haven't connected yet.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I tried to find the manual online too. Stumbled upon the paysites too. I 'll ask my father if where he has it stored, but I don't know how it will help me.

As you can see the TV is rather old. Let me think... yes it's 11 years old now, I think. Wow. It has a digital menu though and 100Hz refresh rate. It must have been a good buy back then. Heavy like a bag of bricks, though.

I don't have a second TV set to test the camera, unfortunately.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201109/20110929180127827/SMX-F70P-ENG_UK_IB_0928.pdf
Here is the camera manual. On page 77 you can see the cable type. It was included in the camera package.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Has the TV a menu to select the type of video input?
Perhaps there is a choice between PAL and NTSC or even SECAM.

Bertus

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It does. You can choose among PAL, SECAM, M. NTSC, NTSC and auto. None of them make a difference, though. Of course the NTSC modes cause flickering, this is Europe, anyway.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just curious, how does the color look on the SD card? I'm thinking of you playing the SD card on your computer.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I have successfully played colour videos on the camera LCD panel and stored them in the PC via mini USB.

I don't think I can blame the tv adaptor. Could it be the age of the tv?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Show me a photo of the connector, the camera and the TV. Be sure to show me the area, that is the labeling too.

It must work u know. unless it is a component out.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The problem is 100% NTSC/PAL related..
I believe your older TV just doesn't support the NTSC to 60hz PAL conversions going on in the camera or adapter.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
This is not such an uncommon problem when connecting different makes/types of video equipment. It has to do with the polarity of the video signal, some equiment has negative going, some positive going.
My studio monitor (and some TVs) has a switch for this, labelled Satellite and Video, which are of the opposite polarity. Watching one in the wrong mode kills the colour burst signal.

go well

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I took the photos from my phone, connected it to the home wifi, uploaded them through dropbox app and got them in my pc.

Isn't technology amazing?

I know that focus sucks. Do you need anything else, Rifaa?
Doing that 10 years ago would have resulted in a thread calling you a liar or a Witch.

Yes, I do love technology.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Do you have the camera manual.

That connection is pretty straight forward.
U shud not have any issue with that if your TV is MultiSystem and if it is set to Auto in color system settings.

Unless it is a NTSC 3.58 and ur TV does not have that color decoding, which means it could be NTSC 4.43 only .

Multi ones have both NTSC 4.43 & 3.58 MHz color carrier

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Hello,

Could it be that the luminance and color information is separated in the adapter?
The luminance is often called Y in the manual and the color information (chrominance) is often called C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luma_(video)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrominance

These signals can be combined to produce a composite video, like on the following page:
http://videocircuit.blogspot.com/2009/07/s-video-converter-circuit.html
(the Y sisnal is named L in the schematic).

Bertus
I can't imagine how those two signals could be separated. The connection is pretty straightforward: Camera->included cable->TV. I haven't messed with anything beforehand.

Do you have the camera manual.

That connection is pretty straight forward.
U shud not have any issue with that if your TV is MultiSystem and if it is set to Auto in color system settings.

Unless it is a NTSC 3.58 and ur TV does not have that color decoding, which means it could be NTSC 4.43 only .

Multi ones have both NTSC 4.43 & 3.58 MHz color carrier
I posted the camera manual on post #4. Greece works with PAL, so NTSC talk is futile.

The problem is 100% NTSC/PAL related..
I believe your older TV just doesn't support the NTSC to 60hz PAL conversions going on in the camera or adapter.
The TV isn't as old as I expected. It's approximetely 7 years old after all. I can't find anything on the camera that says that it records on PAL. But when I tell my TV to play on NTSC the image flickers badly, so I assume the camera writes on PAL.

Thanks for all your trouble thinking for me guys, but I guess I 'll admit a camera and a TV have beaten me.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey.....this is AAC, we never give up...

You being a MOD ...shame ....shame.....on you.

Just you wait...lemme go through again.....