Calculating the RF coverage area for LTE networks and benefits of higher power eNB

Gcarmich

Joined Jul 23, 2019
Is the RF coverage area of a single eNB limited to the range of uplink of the connected uE?
For example, since most uEs are limited to 200mW of power and have roughly 0 dBi antenna gain and the eNB usually has several watts of power and high gain antennas, wouldn't the coverage area of this single eNB be calculated soley by the uplink capabilities/range of the uE (uE power, uE TX antenna gain, eNB RX antenna gain, eNB connector/cable loss).

If this is true, what is the benefit of a high power eNB (10W+)?

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
What do you mean? I may help you but I need to understand your question, could you elaborate more by an actual example / scenario ? thanks.

Gcarmich

Joined Jul 23, 2019
What do you mean? I may help you but I need to understand your question, could you elaborate more by an actual example / scenario ? thanks.
As an example, I want to determine how large a radius a single LTE eNB with an omni antenna would cover. I have the parameters for the eNB setup. But I would think that since the eNB has considerably more power than the uE, wouldn't I calculate the just the uplink budget from the uE to the eNB instead of the downlink from the eNB to the uE?

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
As an example, I want to determine how large a radius a single LTE eNB with an omni antenna would cover. I have the parameters for the eNB setup. But I would think that since the eNB has considerably more power than the uE, wouldn't I calculate the just the uplink budget from the uE to the eNB instead of the downlink from the eNB to the uE?
I understand but you need the minimal coverage that both UE && ENODEB accomplish .. so it's more sense to calculate uplink budget ...you need to assure minimal coverage ..

Gcarmich

Joined Jul 23, 2019
I understand but you need the minimal coverage that both UE && ENODEB accomplish .. so it's more sense to calculate uplink budget ...you need to assure minimal coverage ..
Ok. That makes sense.
My second question is - what benefit does the eNB offer when operated at a power output several magnitudes higher than the uE? It can't be for more distance since the distance is limited by the uplink.

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
Ok. That makes sense.
My second question is - what benefit does the eNB offer when operated at a power output several magnitudes higher than the uE? It can't be for more distance since the distance is limited by the uplink.
What do you mean? may please re-explain your question with actual example to demonstrate it? thanks.