Calculating the resistance

darkknight

Joined Oct 7, 2009
I was wondering if i am doing this correctly,

if v1=30v than i can do R=V/I which becomes 30/10 = 3ohms correct?

please tell me if my calculations are correct or not and in case not, what i am doing wrong

thanks in advance

Last edited:

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
remember that, that 10A. current flow, is going to divide between the parrallel combination of R and 3R.

current through R will equal (10A. x 3R / (R + 3R)

darkknight

Joined Oct 7, 2009
which is -120v, i got that part, and than i know the Ir+I3r has to = 10A. i have the puzzle parts i just having trouble putting them together but i appreciate all of your help that you been giving me :)

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I assume the 30 volts is supplied in part a of your question?

So we have 120 volts across the 12 ohm resistor and 30 volts across the parallel combination of R and 3R. Call this Rp

So the 120 + 30 = 150 volts is distributed across the voltage divider formed by 12 and Rp
such that 30/150 = Rp/(12+Rp)

So you can calculate Rp

So you can work back to R from the parallel resistance formula

In part b you don't know the voltage across R and 3R or the currents in them, but you do know the power dissipated by their combination.

Power in R power in 3R = 1575 - power in 12ohm resistor = 1575 - (10*10*12)

This power is distributed between the two resistors. You must calculate the ratio of the currents to obtain the ratio of the powers.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
30v. is across R and 3R.

R and 3R form a parrallel combo, that acts as a single resistance in series with the current.
But than when the current reaches this combo. it divides.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You have put up a circuit including a current source.

It is my assumption that you have a working knowledge of series and parallel resistors, since you will have covered these maybe 2 years before current sources are introduced.

If that is not the case please review series and parallel resistors and the formulae involved.

When you do this you will find that the voltage across every resistor in a parallel combination is the same. However the currents are different and depend upon their relative values.

You will also find that the current through every resistor in a series combination is the same. However the voltages are different and depend upon their relative values.

darkknight

Joined Oct 7, 2009
I assume the 30 volts is supplied in part a of your question?

So we have 120 volts across the 12 ohm resistor and 30 volts across the parallel combination of R and 3R. Call this Rp

So the 120 + 30 = 150 volts is distributed across the voltage divider formed by 12 and Rp
such that 30/150 = Rp/(12+Rp)

So you can calculate Rp

So you can work back to R from the parallel resistance formula

In part b you don't know the voltage across R and 3R or the currents in them, but you do know the power dissipated by their combination.

Power in R power in 3R = 1575 - power in 12ohm resistor = 1575 - (10*10*12)

This power is distributed between the two resistors. You must calculate the ratio of the currents to obtain the ratio of the powers.

the 120v is a voltage drop, i was calculating the 12Ω x 10a so we shouldnt add that to the 30 right? the only info supplied is what is on the drawing and that v1=30