Calculating resistors values?? Need help!!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Is there a DC offset on the generator input?
Is the - powersupply of the opamp really connected to ground?
If that is the case you can not have negative voltages at the inputs of the opamp.

Greetings,
Bertus

nenadilic84

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Hello,

Is there a DC offset on the generator input?
Is the - powersupply of the opamp really connected to ground?
If that is the case you can not have negative voltages at the inputs of the opamp.

Greetings,
Bertus
1. There is no DC offset
2. Yes, the power supply is connected same way as in the drawing
3. I don't need negative voltages, just 0-5V pulses.

Regards,
Nenad

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When there is no offset on the generator, the voltage will go negative, wich is not allowed.
You will have to create a DC offset to have always positive voltages.
What frequency is the generator producing?

Greetings,
Bertus

nenadilic84

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Hello,

When there is no offset on the generator, the voltage will go negative, wich is not allowed.
You will have to create a DC offset to have always positive voltages.
What frequency is the generator producing?

Greetings,
Bertus
It is a signal generator and the frequency can be adjusted from 1Hz to 10MHz. I want to implement this in the signal generator so I can have duty cycle adjustable TTL signal. Do you have any suggestions???

Regards,
Nenad

nenadilic84

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Ok I did a simulation in LTSpice. The circuit is working as I thought, but I'm not sure how optimal it is. Can some one here take a look at a simulation.
Thank you

Regards,
Nenad

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you are going to use an input signal that varies around 0v (goes negative) then you will need to use both positive and negative rails (+5v,-5v) to supply power to the LT1016 comparator; otherwise you will destroy the comparator.

nenadilic84

Joined Aug 7, 2009
If you are going to use an input signal that varies around 0v (goes negative) then you will need to use both positive and negative rails (+5v,-5v) to supply power to the LT1016 comparator; otherwise you will destroy the comparator.
What are you suggesting??? The goal is to have 0-5V pulses, and my input is Sine wave that is not DC offset. If I use both positive and negative rails (+5v, -5v) to supply power of the LT1016, is the output going to be a square wave ±5V? How can I resolve that??

Thank you.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you want the comparator output to vary between 0v and 5v, you'll need to ensure that the input remains above 0v.

One way to do that is to use a passive summing circuit.
Change your R1 to 150 Ohms, and add another 150 Ohm resistor between the noninverting (-) comparator input to +5v.
Remove the -5v from below R2, and replace it with a ground.

nenadilic84

Joined Aug 7, 2009
If you want the comparator output to vary between 0v and 5v, you'll need to ensure that the input remains above 0v.

One way to do that is to use a passive summing circuit.
Change your R1 to 150 Ohms, and add another 150 Ohm resistor between the noninverting (-) comparator input to +5v.
Remove the -5v from below R2, and replace it with a ground.
I have made the modifications you suggested and attached the drawing below.The problem now is that the output of is between 0-3.6V instead of 0-5V. Why is this happening??

Thank you.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have made the modifications you suggested and attached the drawing below.The problem now is that the output of is between 0-3.6V instead of 0-5V. Why is this happening??
Did you read the datasheet for the LT1016?

3.6v as a high level with no load exceeds the minimum specifications for the device. Connecting a 3.3k resistor from the noninverting output to ground to provide a 1mA+ load still shows the output going above 3.6v.

nenadilic84

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Did you read the datasheet for the LT1016?

3.6v as a high level with no load exceeds the minimum specifications for the device. Connecting a 3.3k resistor from the noninverting output to ground to provide a 1mA+ load still shows the output going above 3.6v.
I'm sorry I have missed that. Thanks