Calculating Base Resistor on BJT

GioD

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Moderator Note: This thread has been split from Calculating Base Resistor for a BJT

I don't see in the diagram the resistor usually connected from Base to Emitter. What's the utility of this further resistor ? Is always necessary or not ?

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't see in the diagram the resistor usually connected from Base to Emitter. What's the utility of this further resistor ? Is always necessary or not ?
You've reopened a 5-1/2 year old thread. If you have a question on something, you should start your own thread.

And no, this circuit doesn't need a resistor from emitter to base. If you supply an example of such an arrangement, someone here will explain it to you.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

Regarding Beta, in most cases i have seen people using 20 for calculations., however it depends on which transistor (Parameter) you are using.
If you look at their data sheet, most BJTs are specified at a Beta of 10 for the Vce saturation voltage measurement, so that is why a value of 10 is commonly used when you want the transistor to be fully ON.

Of course you can also use a logic-level MOSFET, which requires no gate current, to control the LEDs.