Calculate the dynamic energy consumption of a 6T-SRAM cell

Electron22

Joined Oct 5, 2013
Hi,

I found this formula for the calculation of dynamic energy of a 6T-SRAM cell;

ECycle-6T = PWrite × EWrite-6T + PRead × ERead-6T

I cannot find information in calculating the Pwrite and Pread, the probability to have a read or write operation at the SRAM cell. Is it possible to find typical values of these parameters? I know they are dependent on the software process which is executed so it is possible to find a specific example?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As you said, those are going to be dependent on the process and the processor so you will need to know enough about both to enable you to estimate those probabilities.

Electron22

Joined Oct 5, 2013
Is it possible to find an example from a paper or a book therefore an already calculated set of probabilities for a specific SRAM?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Probably. You would most likely find them in the examples in a text book.

Why do you need them? The reason will determine whether any such numbers will be even remotely useful to you.

Electron22

Joined Oct 5, 2013
I need them because my purpose is determining which is the dynamic energy consumption based on a real example of SRAM and a real set of probabilities for a real process.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And yet you don't seem to have a real SRAM or a real process that you are determining this for. That's probably where you need to start. Find a real SRAM and a real process running on a real processor and use that as your example. Then figure out to determine or at least estimate the parameters for THAT example.

Electron22

Joined Oct 5, 2013
This is the problem; I do not have the possibility to run a process at a commercial SRAM chip because I do not possess any. So my question is if you know any example from bibliography.

Electron22

Joined Oct 5, 2013
I found a datasheet for an Embedded SRAM chip but there is no clue about the parameters I need to calculate. Is it possible to calculate them from the data provided by the datasheet?