Calculate the Break Frequency

millotorres

Joined May 18, 2012
I need help calculating the break frequency of an RC and an RL circuit when given only the resistor of 1000 ohms value and the magnitude and phase plots.

I've been trying to solve this without luck. Please guide me here of the steps I should take.

RL - Red Plot
RC - Blue Plot

Thanks

millotorres

Joined May 18, 2012
When the gain Vout/Vin reach 1/√2 ≈ 0.707 ≈ -3.01dB
The Xc = R and also XL = R
Ok I still don't get it, can you show me how I get fc. I cannot tie the knot on this one. I have tao = RC, fc=1/2piRC. I have two unknowns. Show me the light here someone!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Ok I still don't get it, can you show me how I get fc. I cannot tie the knot on this one. I have tao = RC, fc=1/2piRC. I have two unknowns. Show me the light here someone!
The light is that you have to supply two of the values to calculate the third. ;) For example, if you want a certain fc, then you need to also specify a value for either R or C, and solve for the missing value.

millotorres

Joined May 18, 2012
The light is that you have to supply two of the values to calculate the third. ;) For example, if you want a certain fc, then you need to also specify a value for either R or C, and solve for the missing value.
Ok, This is the puzzle, I must get fc by looking at the graphs and the frequency i.e. 4.6 is told not to be = fc. I only was given what I posted..
A magnitude and a phase graph of the circuit and the resistor value of 1000 ohms. So can you solve this one?? fc = ...

Thank you in advanced!!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The formula for Xc is:

\( X_c = \frac{1}{2\pi fC}\)

We solve for f when R = Xc

\( f = \frac{1}{2\pi RC}\)

Last edited: