Cadsoft Eagle issue

ChrisChemist116

Joined Mar 13, 2009
Howdy, i've been using Cadsoft's Eagle quite a while but i can't find the proper library to add a 16x2 alphanumeric LCD display. Is it missing? Has anybody found or know how to add it to the schematics board? :)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just create one..
I never understand why people ask for others libraries/parts for PCB programs..
#1 I don't trust anything someone else has done.
#2 Its faster to just create the library part yourself than to wait for someone.

If it takes more than a few minutes to create any part in a PCB program then that PCB program is garbage. :)

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
TUXGR_16x2_R2 is representative of an LCD display module but mcgyvr is right, especially in this case. There are so many variants of LCDs, I'd just make one.

ChrisChemist116

Joined Mar 13, 2009
Just create one..
I never understand why people ask for others libraries/parts for PCB programs..
I will try to take a conciliatory tone to answer mccyvr (but i have to admit its difficult to do this since i am still saddened from the results on tuesday night. i wont get into further details of that anyway).

First, i think there was a missunderstanding on my question. I was not asking for a library nor a part tailored to my needs or anything closer to that. As i mentioned, i was looking if somebody else has had previous experience with Cadsoft software and used lcd there, then it could be helpful for me to tell me where that part is or if is it missing.

#1 I don't trust anything someone else has done.
I find amusing you say you don't trust into anything someone else has done. (i'll get some philosophical here). So you're telling me, even if go to see a dentist wont you trust in his work?. Maybe you have had read all the dentistry books out there and can feel very competent to do, let's say a dental filling in yourself with all that anesthesia stuff and so on, but it takes more than good intentions and desire of self experimentation to do it. Certainly all the work and experience we have relies in the shoulders of others in one way on another, so i think it is some strange to scrap out so easily what others do.

#2 Its faster to just create the library part yourself than to wait for someone.
Second, i agree. Maybe it is faster to create the library part for myself. But what if i dont know how to do that?.

I understand your point because i found most of the time i had to learn many skills by myself since waiting for an answer on that particular issue would take a lot of time, either if i can't learn that skill i go to find somebody else whom i can learn from or who can assist me on that. I think it could had been helpful to say, 'maybe you can try on Cadsoft built-in help'.

If it takes more than a few minutes to create any part in a PCB program then that PCB program is garbage. :)
Third, okay. Judging, its something that makes us humans, so having a stance on particular PCB program based whether if its hard to use or understand or manipulate from its interface or design, etc, its entering into subjective fields, and for that i'll leave it there.

TUXGR_16x2_R2 is representative of an LCD display module but mcgyvr is right, especially in this case. There are so many variants of LCDs, I'd just make one.
To JohnInTX, I'll appreciate your suggestion, in fact i found that module, it is something i can work on, and next time i will see for myself with more details about other variants. I have to admit i should had written in the beginning of my question i was refering to a Hitachi HD44780 diplay module compatible.

I think sparkfun have a Eagle library with many typical hobbyist parts. Both foot print and schematic symbols
To t06afre, i was not aware sparkfun had an Eagle library, but i find it interesting, i will take a look into that. Thank you for pointing that for me.:)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
When 93% of any 1 race votes together its a clear problem and obviously not a vote on each of the candidates plans/accomplishments,etc...

and no I don't trust my dentist either.. so I brush my teeth/floss,etc.. regularly
I don't trust a mechanic..so I work on my own vehicles.
But in general obviously I was meaning PCB library parts.. When 1 simple mistake can "trash" a $$$$$$ PCB order I want to make darn sure its right.

and you should simply learn to create library parts.. Thats one of the most important parts of using a PCB program.

I understand you use Eagle so I guess you like to do things the hard way.. :) I first looked at Eagle when deciding on a PCB program for work.. It was a pain in the butt and a very poorly designed program right from the start.. Diptrace BLOWS it away as far as usability and virtually every other aspect of it.

Adafruit as well as Sparkfun should have the libraries with 16x2 LCDs.. But you need a good try at building them yourself anyways. :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Most of these LCDs have either 16x1 or 8x2 pins. For that you can use a standard 2.54 row header.

The drilling holes to screw the display are really totally different for each one. But you don't need high precision, it can be off a mm or two.

Then you don't get the signals names of course. But they are the same order for most of these displays. Vcc and control signals starting at 1, and D7 starting at pin 14. 15+16 = LED backlight.

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
Chris,

I started using Eagle this year and creating parts is not intuitive. But its not hard either, once you've been shown how to do it.

I found several good YouTube videos demonstrating how to make parts. I suggest searching for these and using them to help you get up to speed on Eagle.