CAD software

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi everyone.

I'm on a downer right now.

I'm trying to design several products which I can sell for a small profit, to give me a bit more 'pocket money'. I've drawn out some plans by hand, and I think that they are well designed and able to sell.

So I try to transfer my drawings onto the computer using CAD, so that I have a digital copy of my circuit schematics, and I can design some PCBs to make. However, this is where I'm having problems. Every time I try to use these programs, they either have problems with libraries not loading, component searches not working, a lack of components, or a difficult and confusing component creator. It has really driven me up the wall. I've been trying for about 2 weeks, but have not got a single finished design. I get mad, switch of the computer, and try again a day or two later, but I keep coming up against the same problems. Really driving me mad.:mad:

Can anyone suggest good software to use? I've tried Eagle, but that's messed up and DesignSpark lacks basic components (Ever heard of a transformer, RS?).

Preferrably free, but I'm willing to pay to get something that works. That's all I want. I just want to get a schematic and PCB designed, but it's giving me hell right now.

Many thanks for all your time,

Sparky

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Thanks Mcgyvr.

If I could give you more than 1 thumbs up I would.

In fact I'm creating some more accounts to do that right now. jj

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'll have to try out diptrace, never used it. I have used Eagle, and I know what you are talking about, it's not very intuitive. Should you decide to give Eagle another shot, I would suggest you focus your efforts on learning how to search the libraries and how to create your own components. There are actually a great deal of parts in the libraries but you just have to know how to find them. For the parts that aren't there, you can make them and use them, often using packages that are already made from other libraries. There are step-by-step pictographical tutorials available for this.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So far most of the components for my latest design are not in the Eagle libraries, so I have to create my own. It is not exactly intuitive but I am getting the hang of it. Sure it takes time but I just chalk it up to the learning curve. I know it will pay off in the long run.

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
That's what I've been doing lately -- late at night.. Creating library parts in Eagle.. I'm getting better at it and hope that I've got my layering correct and all that. I've toyed around with dipTrace as well but don't like it because I use a Mac and it still thinks it's a PC.. I tried a bunch of others too and seem to return to Eagle in the end..

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The last component I made in eagle, I made from dimensions in the datasheet (wacky shaped part, with nonstandard, asymmetrical layout). I didn't have the part in hand, so no sanity check. Turns out I made it mirror image; didn't realize until after I'd already etched the PCB and drilled it. DOH!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've been using Kicad for a few months now, after using Cadence & Allegro, and I think it is really a good package. There is also an online autorouter you can use.

It's slow, but it's cheap and good.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are actually a great deal of parts in the libraries but you just have to know how to find them.
Took me awhile to notice that there was a search box at the bottom of the Add window that allows you to search for your component.

It doesn't always find the part you are looking for even though it is there.
Make sure you type in the wildcard before the number, e.g. *7805

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Make sure you type in the wildcard before the number, e.g. *7805

I generally put the wildcard before and after. I think it helps, not sure though.

ErnieM said:
There is also an online autorouter you can use.
I have hardly ever used the autorouter feature in any of the cad packages I have tried. Maybe it is something I am doing wrong like the set up portion or something, but I always have more vias than what I think is necessary. Then there are the traces that have almost made a complete circle around the board to get where it needs to go. :confused:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've been using Kicad for a few months now, after using Cadence & Allegro, and I think it is really a good package.
I've had my KiCad period, and I liked the programs instant 3D view. However, at that time I couldn't make the printout to look nice, it looked like 8-bit graphic. So I switched to Eagle. I don't think I will go back.

To search for parts/components, I use asterix, like *78, or *supply or *1x2.

It took a while to get the logic, on how to make the components, but when you get it, it's easy.

I've seen this : http://www.beigebag.com/eagle_bb_sim.htm, but I've never seen it in action or tried it. And it would be really nice to have a simulator for the Eagle schematics.

Anyone tried it?

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
Does anyone use tinycad? You basically have to create all your components because the library is anemic. But it's free and the UI is so simple.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Does anyone use tinycad? You basically have to create all your components because the library is anemic. But it's free and the UI is so simple.
Its schematic capture only.. Whats the point when Diptrace is schematic capture AND pcb layout software in one (and its free and simple)

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
I used DipTrace for a while on a Mac but didn't really like the way the UI & keystrokes worked as it is effectively running under Wine (windows emulation) and not native.. So, it has some odd behaviors that bothered me quite a bit.. Eagle is much better behaved as a native app IMHO but is obviously not without its own quirks.. Now, if DipTrace came out with a true native Mac App (not likely), then I'd probably switch in a heart beat as their tools seemed more intuitive..

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
Its schematic capture only.. Whats the point when Diptrace is schematic capture AND pcb layout software in one (and its free and simple)
I C. I use freepcb for layout and quite like it. Be interested in trying diptrace for comparison. Is it really free? Thought I saw a priced version on their website..

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I C. I use freepcb for layout and quite like it. Be interested in trying diptrace for comparison. Is it really free? Thought I saw a priced version on their website..
They have a free version as well as several paid versions with pricing based primarily on pin count. I have the 500 pin version and like it a lot. I couldn't learn Eagle.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The last component I made in eagle, I made from dimensions in the datasheet (wacky shaped part, with nonstandard, asymmetrical layout). I didn't have the part in hand, so no sanity check. Turns out I made it mirror image; didn't realize until after I'd already etched the PCB and drilled it. DOH!
There is no more useful check then the sanity test! I tend to make a lot of SMD boards and I try to collect all the parts before I design the PCB. This isn't hard as I'll build the prototype out of the same parts so I have extras on hand.

As part of the PCB check I'll print out the board 1:1 and then place all the parts where they should be. That gives great confidence that at least the pads are correctly placed spaced and the parts will fit.

Any decent PCB layout program will confirm the point to point connections match the schematic, but I always (well, mostly, still make mistakes here) confirm the pin numbers match. IC's and such usually go well (did mess up a SOT-23-5 once) but I've found 3 pin transistors (or fets) to be a nuisance needing close scrutiny and another pair of eyes to confirm.

Transistors are just so simple they tend to get overlooked, and even knowing I mess them up all the time I still mess them up all the time.