Cables/Connectors/Headers..

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Hello guys...

I am having troubles in picking out which cable/connector/header, I should use for my PCB design...
I tried searching in many online electronics shop but I just keep on getting more and more confused with the terms like pitches...

Here's what I need:

Power Cable that can provide up to 6 connections and a load of 1Amp.. Similar to the ones we see inside our personal computers..

1 part must be mounted on the PCB (I assume this is called a header or is this the socket?)

2nd part is the connector (I need a connector that is easy to connect on the wires)...

Up to today I have been using terminal blocks for my projects because I found it too confusing which connector to buy for my application.. I would like to change my usual project construction method by using nice connectors on them? How do I do this? What should I know when buying these items? Obviously they don't sell these connectors and headers together with its counterparts.. And buying the wrong connector for the wrong socket will just keep me getting more and more frustrated...

What's a good combination example for connector and pcb header/socket?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Molex makes a large line of PCB connectors (card edge as well). The pin spacing and current handling is variable, but clearly stated. I use MTA's a lot, but also the KK series. I believe they are both good for at least one amp.

If you wish to use a cable, you might look at DIN connectors. They are somewhat large, but rugged and good for many amps/contact.

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Thanks for advice..
I have looked into DIN. And yeah they are rugged indeed.. When referring to DINs. Is this a standard? When I say 4pin Din... Does this apply for all 4pin Dins? In any case this was a good solution to my problem.. I will use this for now.. But still would like to know how to properly use/identify headers and ribbons..

KK series sounds also good for my purpose..
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/878910106_sd.pdf
It is this one right?

Okay let's say I choose that type of header... Then its corresponding connector would be this one right?
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/014441207_sd.pdf

How do I connect wires on that connector? I know it has pins inside that needs to be crimped in a certain manner on the wire or with a tweezer it can be pulled out. Can I get a reference site of what tools are needed to do this type of crimping job? Or perhaps list of tools...Or do I just need to buy a ribbon cable for this type?

I know it sounds all ridiculous for someone who needs to learn how to connect wires.. But unfortunately they didn't teach this in my university... Unfortunately I could not find any reference/guide books/links on how to do proper cable jobs..And how it is done professionally..

Best Regards
Franz

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The thing to look for in DIN connectors is the angle between pins. Some have the pins go on an 180 deg arc, some go over 240 deg. Otherwise there is only the finish and appearance to choose from.

The pin crimper for the Molex pins says "Waldom" on it. It is part #W-HT1921. It's a manual tool, so it probably does not cost too much. I think it will crimp all sizes of Molex pins. For the smaller ones, I got better results with the gold flashed pins. The tin one tended to fold up strangely.

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Today I just received my set of Molex Headers and pins including the crimper. I tested out a few and it takes a bit practice getting it right. I have a bit problems getting consistency with crimping but I guess this depends on constant practice... I bought both tins and gold fingers with various sizes 2/4/5/9/10 way. In any case they work great and much better than those Terminal Blocks where they go broken after putting pin in and out a couple of times.

Thanks for the tip man. Now my projects will be much more better looking than before. :)

Btw is there a design rule when to use Headers? And when to use Terminal Blocks?

Cheers
Franz

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Terminal blocks can handle greater currents than headers.

I use headers for attaching control line to PCB's - like a gain pot to an amplifier board.