cables and amplification ?

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by Mathematics!, Apr 2, 2014.

  1. Mathematics!

    Thread Starter Senior Member

    Jul 21, 2008
    1) For telephone lines in house and on the poles to the telephone company office. I am curious how long the cable can be before it needs amplification? This is for the regular cat 3... or so telephone cable you fid in your house or on the telephone pole as well as the fiber optic cabling.

    2) Same question but for the coaxial cable / cable companies tv wiring.
    I know this would depend on the cable modem strength as well to some extent. But I am kind of curious on how long usually you can run coaxial cable before amplification is need? Would it be 100ft more less

    3) I know one can make amplifiers with greater amplification in general but is there a max before the signal for a telephone or coaxial cable has to be amplified again ? For example one could make 1 amplifier that can amplify the signal for 5 miles. Or one could make 5 amplifiers that amplified ever 1 mile. The difference would be one install on the pole as opposed to 5 installs. And at the extreme one could just have enough amplification built into the modem itself (in the cases of cable tv / internet)
  2. inwo

    Well-Known Member

    Nov 7, 2013
    This is such a complicated subject, I don't know if anyone will dare.:eek:

    A ballpark figure for RG-6 is 500'.

    37db distribution amps are not uncommon. That could take 1000mhz 500 feet.

    Amplification is limited to low levels by regulations limiting egress.

    I haven't kept up with digital. Analog signals had limits on the number of time signals could be amplified without reprocessing.

    Phone companies can route DSL 5,000 to 25,000 ft. I believe
  3. Mathematics!

    Thread Starter Senior Member

    Jul 21, 2008

    Always wondered about what this was on the telephone line and what it was meant for? Is it some amplifier or does it serve another purpose

    Also I have seen metal based ones or more cylinder shaped ones kind of curious about what those are meant for. not talking about the transformers here.

    maybe it is a voltage regulator ?
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014