Cable TV

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Check out the link I gave in post #19 of this thread, they have a slew of combiners and splitters and they carry a variety of products from different manufacturers, maybe you could use that info to shop around for similar items and compare products....

B. Morse
I did. It's inputs are too limited :(

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's the larger diameter of the center conductor and the better shielding that makes the difference between RG-6 and RG-59.

The larger center conductor is much better at conducting the RF.
The better shielding protects against RF ingress and egress.

RG-59 isn't much good after about 10 feet.
RG-6 is good for about 150 feet.
RG-11 is good for about 600 feet.

Note that the minimum bend radius for RG-6 and RG-11 is about 3". If you bend them in a tighter radius than that, even momentarily, you will destroy the electrical properties of that section of coax.

Plan on having to replace some or all of the coax. It is all too frequent that unskilled labor is used to install coax, and they use staples to hold the cable to studs, and bend the coax into too small of a radius. If they installed RG-59, you will probably have to replace all of it, as signal quality will be terrible.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You will need to buy the proper type of connectors to go on the coax, and a proper crimp tool. The good crimp tools run in the neighborhood of $70 USD or so; they will handle RG-6, RG-59, and RG-11 fittings. The cheap crimp tools only handle RG-6 and RG-59. RG-59 uses different connectors than RG-6, because the insulation is different size. DON'T try to use twist-on connectors; they will not last, and they take too much time to install in the first place.

You're going to need a stripping tool. I use one like this:
http://www.summitsource.com/rotary-...size-for-f-connector-install-prep-p-7181.html

It strips the jacket, shield, and insulation core to the right lengths in one step. If the blade is adjusted properly, it won't nick the center conductor. You do NOT want to try doing a bunch of coax ends without one of these tools. You can strip a coax perfectly in just seconds.

If you nick the center conductor, you will cause an impedance mismatch, which will give a poor quality picture.

If your installation uses RG-11, you will need a suitable stripping tool for RG-11 also.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
My my ...I'm learning new stuff every day..
I did not know that even though I use a single blade to remove the insulation and twist a F connector in to a coax.
Thanks Sgt. as always you never failed to amaze me.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Today I met the owner. A 7 storey building, width of the stairs is 4" :eek:.
I am sure none of you fellas can fit in there. 16 Apartments. Already the Local cable is in service, has RG11 and RG6 cables installed.
He wants to setup the Indian cable channel as he is going to subscribe 20 packages of it.
My job is to get the dishes and Modulators and all. All I need to install is a main trunk cable from the control room at the top floor down to the bottom floor where all the consumer ends are terminated.. pretty simple.
Got a supplier at chennai, India.
Negotiating a price for the items and will take off to trivendrum soon as every thing goes to plan. The Chinese did not reply to me. So china is delayed for now.
About the internet service, it seems the owner was way over his head on this thing, he thought it was like connecting a cable to the combiner, and to make things worse, our wonderful 3 ISP's here does not want to give a wide bandwidth package to the building, instead they wanted to take all the headache of installing the cables to individual apartments which will take one hell of a workload as the building is already fully occupied, and to cope with the headache of the trouble that would come with it if a cable fault arises.
These stupid ISP's does not realize that if they gave a customized package to the owner they will get a better prize with no work load, cause after the cable is terminated at the building, it will be the owners responsibility to deal with the distribution and monitoring the internal traffics. Only thing the ISP has to do is collect the monthly fee's and extra allowance if any.
How stupider can one get.
What you can see from this is that even though they provide these services, they don't really have good personals to come with these things.
And further more it will take weeks to fix a simple fault.
For example, I am having a serious problem with my ISP as my connection times out every 10 or 15 seconds. I have to redial every time and I am having a hard time even posting here. It's been 3 weeks now, I am about to explode. Today I called the person in charge and I asked him his technical qualification and his post, cause it's been 3 weeks and still they cannot find the reason why the connection is timing out. So after I asked him about his ability he paused and said that he is not in liberty to tell.
Now you guess how one get answer from these morons.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Quote "I am having a serious problem with my ISP .... I have to redial every time and I am having a hard time even posting here."
Redial? Are you still using old fashioned dialup? Why?

I think cable companies charge each user, not the entire building.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am using a 3G sim connection. It has a USB modem and a dial up to wataniya
and not cable. Internet. It's an addition that the owner wants

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
it's a sim card used for cell phones, it is plugged into a USB modem.
I have 7.2Mbps connection, quite fast too, infact better than the lame ISP's that were here before.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
they are TV modulators and amplifiers. They don't have anything to do with broadband internet.
For example, they do not have anything to make UPLOADs. Then your mouse and keyboard will do nothing.
Will they handle the IP over cable, is what i meant.

I dont know if you are making fun of me, ;) but I was talking about using cable modems with these devices. I was under the assumption that most units not built to handle it, filter it.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I think European/PAL cable modems use 402.75MHz for the upstream freq.
Cable companies here usually use somewhere in the 533MHz range for the upstream.
Downstream; your mileage may vary considerably.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The cable TV modulators and amplifiers might pass downstream internet signals to cable modems but probably do not upstream anything so the internet will not function.

You need cable TV modulators and amplifiers that are made to handle cable internet.

When my son had internet over the same cable TV connection as me then the cable company had to give us separate IP addresses.

How will you connect your cable TV system to an IP?
Will your IP give the building many IP addresses?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey guys, read my post, internet is off.
I scared the owner out of his pants about the whole monitoring thing and price tags :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Well..
I have given the quotation for the setup and installation plus maintenance charges and all.
Had a meeting with the one who is going to give me a advance for it.
Seems it will be good to go.
Quot is not less than USD 10,000.