Cabin Creek Flood

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I came across a letter written by my grandfather about the Cabin Creek Flood in West Virginia in 1916. He had graduated from medical school a few years before and was writing to his wife Anna, who was in Colorado. It's a pretty harrowing story.

Attachments

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Did your grandfather stay in Cherokee to start a clinic?
Most likely not, as my mother was born a year later in Kansas and Floyd was shortly thereafter sent overseas in WW1.

Before medical school, Floyd was in the Navy. Here's another excerpt from a letter of his to his girlie (Anna) in 1909:

Since I last wrote u, I have been transferred to this ship. We have also been up 2 Mare Island in dry-dock 4 a month having returned 2 this island couple of weeks ago.

The Intrepid is a barkantine training ship but is auxiliary 2 the Pensacola.---Yesterday, I had quite a novel experience. There was an athletic and track meet of the colleges and clubs of the Pacific Coast at the Stadium at Golden Gate Park. After the events were over the announcers announced an international 440 yd. dash 2 B represented by the different nations of the fleets in the bay viz: Great Britain, Germany, Holland, Italy, Japan and U.S. Nobody was willing 2 take the initiative of the U.S.N. so when they' were already lined up I volunteered 2 represent our fleet as no one else cared to.

I knew I was heavily handicapped. They were men in condition, having been in training 4 their soccer games which are 2 B held this P.M. Have lost 15 lbs. during the last month and was not feeling well. I, being the last 2 enter, was on the outside of the track also.

Some one offered me pair of spiked shoes, but I refused them as the other fellows had none. The announcer announced the representatives of the several nations, so when I was at last announced as: "Sailor Turner of the good, old warship Pensacola" ten thousand voices roared themselves hoarse and I said to myself: "Turner, it's up to you to win; it's up to you to uphold your Nation's honor; to not disappoint these loyal people; "Turner, it's up 2 u 2 win or bust!" (please permit it.) Well, I busted.

As the shot was fired I was unluckily last in starting, but in 50 yds I was caught up with the main body, but a Briton had forged ahead some 10 or 12 ft. Slowly I crossed over in front of the body of runners 2 the inside of the track and yet more slowly I forged upon and passed the Briton while (so they said, but I didn't hear) ten thousand vigorous voices were applauding me. Slowly, also, I left the Briton behind and during the last 75 yds. I was not running to beat the Briton, he was 25 or 30 ft. behind, but 2 rival the time of the athlete who had won that event an hour or so B4, which had I finished, would have been a worthy competitor, I think. But when within about 50 yds. of the goal I felt myself getting weak and when within 35 or 40 ft. from the tape, fate played a dirty, Irish trick on me (4 which I shall always hold a grudge against her) and I collapsed.

They were very kind 2 me. They took me 2 the club house. They made up a liberal purse 4 me from the crowd, which excelled the prize in pecuniary value, and upon my refusing it they thrust it into my pockets with the remark "It can't B returned 2 the contributors now." U no I was not running 4 money. I was not running 4 the honor of Floyd C. Turner. But I
was running 4 that laurel wreath, and more than anything else, to uphold my nation's excellency against rival nations.

Well Girlie I shall expect a letter from you soon.- Floyd

I've also attached an article from a Colorado newspaper in 1918 composed from letters from Floyd to girlie.

I find this stuff interesting because my twin sister and I were adopted and I tracked down this birth family about 20 years ago (that's an interesting story in itself because it was 6 months of detective-type work). The principals (parents and grandparents) were dead, but I did find a full-blooded brother and two sisters.

Anna (girlie) died from breast cancer in the 1930's and Floyd became a cancer researcher after retiring (he worked for the US Public Health Service in later life). If you're interested, you can find a few tidbits on the web about his work (search for "Floyd C. Turner"). Floyd died in 1960.

Attachments

janetjz

Joined Jul 4, 2011
I was raised on Cabin Creek, and I have heard about the big flood all of my life. I was very fascinated with your letter, since I have heard similar stories, but have never read a written account. I would love to know if you have any other information about that flood, and what happened in the aftermath. Thank you.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Nope -- what you saw posted is all I have. You could go to a library and track down the newspaper articles that were published around that time -- they would likely provide interesting reading.