C compiler with debugger

Djsarakar

Joined Jul 26, 2020
Hi
I am looking for c compiler & debugger for windows 10. I want to learn How to debug code to inspect problem in logic. I do not want to use visual studio. Please recommend me a good C compiler with debugger for practicing on PC?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi
I am looking for c compiler & debugger for windows 10. I want to learn How to debug code to inspect problem in logic. I do not want to use visual studio. Please recommend me a good C compiler with debugger for practicing on PC?
You can use gcc. I was never impressed with the debugging features on this one, maybe they've improved since I retired.

Djsarakar

Joined Jul 26, 2020
Hello,
You could install CYGWIN and use the GNU C compiler and debugger:
Bertus
Hi Bertus,
I have installed mingw on my laptop I have practiced with GCC. If I want to debug code, Can you give me some advice How can I debug code. What the software do i need to download other than mingw

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Too bad you have eliminated the best choice.

I picked up a compiler that I started working on, written in C, 20 years ago, and started development a new compiler for PICs and X86. I first used gcc and eclipse. These tools pretty much suck on windows, don't know, they might be better on Linux, but I had many problems with them, with both eclipse and the stand alone debugger (gdb) basically crashing the system whenever something went wrong, a great feature for the tool that use when things go wrong!

I finally bit the bullet and went back to Visual Studio, which is what I started this code with. Visual Studio is now free and is a breeze to use and 10 times faster than eclipse / gcc.

disclosure: I have been a compiler developer for nearly 50 years now, and I actually was a developer on Visual C/C++ years ago.

Bob

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
I use lcc-win32, and I like it. There's a debugger, but I never use that.

https://lcc-win32.services.net/
For me Norton flags this URL as dangerous.

I'd also recommend MS Visual Studio. The latest version even includes Linux development. You can create a project, compile it and debug using the IDE which copies sources to your Linux host, compiles them, and takes charge of GDB (I presume). It was impressive.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
If you're using gcc/g++, then gdb is the natural fit for a debugger. You can use eclipse for an IDE. But as mentioned above, Microsoft Visual Studio is by far the best Windows IDE/compiler/debugger available. The free version does give up some nice features that the paid versions have, but the IDE is top shelf. I believe there are articles for using the VS IDE in combination with gcc/g++ and gdb but I've never tried it myself.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I don't know why that would be. I have Avast antivirus, and it doesn't complain.
FWIW, Norton seems to have enough false positives, including my own domain/site, to make that feature unusable IMO. I also disabled it. Recent changes to their purchase policies have me looking at alternatives. Since LifeLock bought them, it's been a mess. Again IMO.