(c) (b) (y) (b) (b)

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello in my assignment notebook, I am confusing with this

\(c\cdot b\cdot y\cdot b\cdot b\)

We have to express it in exponent

There are three b there but they are part away. what would be the answer in the exponent form?

\(cb^{3}y\) Is it like that the answer?

This one also

Theere are two numbers part away. Our teacher said we have to write the answer of numbers, if there is any.

\(-5 \cdot x\cdot x\cdot 3\cdot y\cdot y\)

\(-5 \cdot x\cdot x\cdot 3\cdot y\cdot y =-5x^{2}3y^{2} = -15x^{2}y^{2}\) is the answer like that?

thanks so much

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
If the dot between constants and variables is the multiplication symbol, then both of your answers are correct and you are doing right, since in algebra, variable's powers are added when they are multiplied and their co-efficients are multiplied by themselves.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You are right, Catapult. When you're multiplying several variables together, it does not make a difference what order they go in. Therefore, C*B*Y*B*B is the same as saying C*Y*B*B*B, which simplifies to C*Y*B^3, or as you said, C*B^3*Y. They all mean the same thing, so you are doing it correctly :)
Der Strom

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Thank you all for your helpful answers.

Now, I am confused with this.

In our assignment's instruction, we have to simplify. It's negative exponent.

\(\frac{s^{-2}}{t}\)

My answer is \(\frac{s}{t^{2}}\)

Is my answer need more simplification.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
With this also. what's the answer.

\(\frac{6^{2}x^{0}y^{-3}}{2^{4}}\)

\(\frac{7^{2}x^{2}y^{-3}}{y^{-4}}\)
pls help me

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thank you all for your helpful answers.

Now, I am confused with this.

In our assignment's instruction, we have to simplify. It's negative exponent.

\(\frac{s^{-2}}{t}\)

My answer is \(\frac{s}{t^{2}}\)

Is my answer need more simplification.
That's not quite right. Since you're raising s to the -2 power, that means that s and the power need to stay together. The power can not just move to the bottom. Does that make sense?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I believe its like this, long time out of practice though. Please confirm before submitting your assignment. No guaranties, just idea!
tgotwalt1158, this is Lightfire's homework, so it would be better to explain how to do it, rather than do it for him. Just something to keep in mind, okay? ;)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011

pls help me
The first thing I see is a lot of numbers and exponents that can be simplified to a single number. For example, let's take the first one--you have 6^2. You can simplify that to a single number. You can do that with most of those numbers with exponents. even x^0 can be simplified to a single number (if you know the rules for that sort of exponent ;) ). I suggest you take it step by step--you can do this ;)
Good luck!
Der Strom

EDIT: Sorry I just answered 3 times in a row :p

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008

pls help me

Are they asking you to get rid of the negative exponents?

Remember these identities;

\( x^{-y}\ \ =\ \ \frac{1}{x^{y}}\)

\( x^{y}\ \ =\ \ \frac{1}{x^{-y}}\)

\( x^{o}\ \ =\ \ \1\)

Also, something like;

\( 3^{-3}\ \ =\ \ \frac{1}{27}\ \ \ \ or,\ \ 5^{2}\ \ =\ \ 25\ \....\ \ as\ examples.\)

So, any actual numbers with powers should be reduced to their actual value, and use the identities to eliminate the negative exponents.