By what means, what sensor the modern washing machine detects an out of balance condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy One

Joined Oct 5, 2019
Hello,
There are no sensors that I have seen as I have worked and dismantled at least 100 washing machines if not more that detects an out of balance condition.
There are so called sensors but they are not related to nothing of the sort.

Water level sensor, hot and cold water sensor, hall sensor for motor to create good torque since sensorless ones don't do good when a motor under load just start in the beginning. Yes even an rpm sensor exists for whatever reason.

Also of course there are no sensors that detects the size of the load, the weight of how much garment you have put in the washing machine so the computer knows how much water is needed.

If anybody actually knows a clear explanation, let m hear it. Please no run arounds. I can do that myself.
Go ahead and try to google it and see what happens. You will get plenty run around and off the subject stuff that has nothing to do with your search. You get the idea.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
if the load was out of balance, the load on the motor was variable,
and the motor has a hall sensor and feedback loop to control speed, so there is feedback on load.
Weight also could be assumed by how much power is needed to start the drum,

As these thing's are all a computer now, quiet easy to detect especially if they don't have to be that accurate

Alchemy One

Joined Oct 5, 2019
if the load was out of balance, the load on the motor was variable,
and the motor has a hall sensor and feedback loop to control speed, so there is feedback on load.
Weight also could be assumed by how much power is needed to start the drum,

As these thing's are all a computer now, quiet easy to detect especially if they don't have to be that accurate
====================================
Well young man, you tried. What else can you do?
I admire your quality, a quality of being satisfied, a quality of accepting that answers don't have to be clear and to accepting them as complete and move on.
I have the misfortune of being at the place that an unclear answer and accepting it has caught up with me and is biting me in the behind.
Patents, hall sensors, feedbacks, computers, variable load and the rest, these lingos now look for what they actually are, just words.

The only answer of course that make sense is detecting the load. That can easily be accomplished by the computer so it can determine the amount of water needed and how it senses it. Just by merely seeing how much current is used by the motor ( called dry load current ) and it compares it to a default empty load current. Of course that question is easy and can easily be answered by a relatively attentive mind. And how does the computer know there is enough water in the drum? I will answer that just to move on. It is not by time. Why? Because systems have different water pressure. Since there are no water pressure sensors either ( just like there is no out of balance sensor either. If there was, you can buy them and you would know how it looked like). It is simply by the weight of the water as that is also part of the default program. That is how much current should be used by the motor when set amount of water in the drum that will correspond for the dry load as the weight of the water has been accounted for. And it is definitely not a good science either. There are plenty complaints of not enough water in the modern washing machines. So the clever folks simply fool the computer. How it is done, they simply pour water in the machine before starting it so the idiot computer thinks it has got one heavy load. Since the computer does not what is inside the drum. Heck you can just put rocks in and it will give you plenty water. No patents are needed to explain it.

Hall sensor is merely for detecting the position of the magnetic poles, to latch and unlatch. As I stated it is used to create the most torque at the beginning of motor as it starts and is used for the most part with front loaders as they are more robust machines.
Not all them motors have hall sensors either. In fact most don't. So that along with its feed back loop is dead. and aside from that hall sensors have nothing to do even if it is tried to be used to sense unbalanced load ( using the term changing load); the load changes if you somehow sneak in there and drop and remove stuff from the drum while it is spinning.

If you stop the machine in the middle of a spin, the motor will come to a stop and the door unlocks, whether you open the door or not, whether you put anything in the drum or not, whether you take anything out of it or not, the machine will go back to checking the weight of the garments again and will go in the mode to see if the load has changed, it will not take off for a spin. The machine can not even detect if you opened the door or not once the signal was stopped to the door. The spring pushes the tumbler back and the door is unlocked. And so to start the machine you have to push the start button again or it is dead in the water. It will take another minute or more before it would go back to previous spin rate.

Some machine does implement a timer so that if you stopped the motor and did not push the start button after certai amount of time, the machine will go in pump drain mode and then the power to the machine is turned off. It won't go into sleep mode.

So how does the Control board know that you have a worn suspension and to keep it clear, refer to all the machines that have no hall sensor.
Keyboard and google search to the rescue again?
[Choice and pattern of words on internet seach matters, just in case]. ** It won't help**

{{ THIS ABOVE RESPOND COMES FROM THE MIND OF SOMEONE WHO...... YOU GET THE IDEA}}

Last edited:

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
The right way is to find the right washing machine repair manual otherwise it starts way back and there are many mechanisms.
The history and development modern washing machine out of balance starts before 1964 then advanced to craziness.
Then from there you read all the patents after that. Some now using an optical sensor. These are listed in citation heading.
This 1964 drawing shows a trip lever when #19 bounces around too much and hits the lever 22 in turn depresses button 29
This switch is normally closed also connected with the lid, the hinge pin located #57 also cutting power to the spin motor circuit.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3227835A/en

washing machine imbalance.png

Last edited:

Alchemy One

Joined Oct 5, 2019
The right way is to find the right washing machine repair manual otherwise it starts way back and there are many mechanisms.
The history and development modern washing machine out of balance starts before 1964 then advanced to craziness.
Then from there you read all the patents after that. Some now using an optical sensor. These are listed in citation heading.
This 1964 drawing shows a trip lever when #19 bounces around too much and hits the lever 22 in turn depresses button 29
This switch is normally closed also connected with the lid, the hinge pin located #57 also cutting power to the spin motor circuit.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3227835A/en

View attachment 255760
====================================
Now which washing machine is this you said? What make and model? Where is it located?
You seen it in any, just one washing machine you know of, heard of, seen one, heard of one, anywhere in your life, in your neighbor, on the internet, a real name of it, a picture of it, a part number of it, parts.com, sears.com, george.com, whirl.com and any parts.com? ..... I am running out of other means of expressing it.... You go tiger, it is your turn.
Don't do it. No sale. Sorry.
Next gentleman please. Are you there? Save me from these.. I don't even know what to call it. Bra baang, bara boom.
Well is this my lucky? Of course not. Not this bag of misfortune that the gods abandoned long long ago and left to stand on his petty bleeding feet. Even his mother could not shed tear for his arid being, lost in some dissolate no-man's land.

Status
Not open for further replies.