Buzzing power strip

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronewb, Sep 21, 2013.

  1. electronewb

    Thread Starter Member

    Apr 24, 2012
    I can hear a major buzz coming from a power strip that I have even with no load on it. What could be wrong with it and should I bother fixing it or just toss it out and buy a new one? And also is there any hazard to use that power strip?
  2. RichardO

    Well-Known Member

    May 4, 2013
    It sounds real dangerous to me. I would pitch it.

    But first, I would open it up to see what is going on. :)

    (I am guessing that a couple of the contacts are lightly touching.)
  3. wayneh


    Sep 9, 2010
    Is this anything more than a power strip? I mean, surge suppressor, circuit breaker, etc.? A picture might help.

    But yeah, I wouldn't use it until it was fixed. And I wouldn't fix it unless you feel comfortable doing that.

    Don't do anything while it's plugged in.
  4. electronewb

    Thread Starter Member

    Apr 24, 2012
    it's a "high end" surge protector power strip It's old but paid a pretty price on it I'll try to snap a picture
  5. GopherT

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 23, 2012
    It likely has a small SMPS inside to run the LED and any additional gadget. Something seems to be failing if it is loud. If it is just barely audible, it could just be a resonance with the mounting frame that is vibrating. The magnetic field can cause the metal around the SMPS to vibrate in the audible range.