Buying a new laptop!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All

I'm trying to buy a new laptop as I can't move away from this chair with my *desktop* here.

My minimum requirements are:

- processor: i7
- 8GB RAM and extendable
- sreen size: 17" at least
- Cash: ~ $1000 (I don't have enough money to afford the craziest stuff)
- SD card available

So I came across this one (please check link below), what do you think of it??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+EN...218858584665&skuId=7703074#tab=specifications

I am not sure if it has SD card tho. I can't see where they've mentioned that!

You can provide other links too so I can compare prices and specs
Thanks for your comments!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Windows 8 ... Arrrrrg!

Make sure to install the latest Ubuntu when you get it. At least you'll have a reasonably useful operating system...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Heuh is *windows 8* not good!?
No idea. I haven't used Windows since about 1999. Too limited for my taste.

I do know that the new Win8 interface is not getting good reviews, and Microsoft has decided to go back to the old start button scheme...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
:DLOL...what you using? *Linux*?
Yes. I started with RedHat long ago...then drifted to Mandrake (now Mandriva). Started using Ubuntu at version 6.04. When they changed to the Unity interface, I went with Mint for a period while Unity matured. Now I use Ubuntu again, switching between Unity and KDE4 for fun. My servers all use the server edition of Ubuntu.

The problem I have with Windows is that it is pretty much an OS only (and a limited one at that), and you still need to purchase significant amounts of software to do something useful. I've never been sold on Windows security (each new version is the Most Secure Ever), but for some reason you still need to run an A/V that uses half your resources.

Linux, and Linux distributions (like Ubuntu) are Free Software (free as in "freedom" not as in "beer"). A basic install gives you a useful, productive workstation and already includes most of the productivity software that you need. There are 10's of thousands of other Free Software packages that are installable at the click of your mouse, many of them (the most important ones!) as well produced as, or better than, commercial software for windows.

Whether you know it or not, you already use Linux. It drives most web servers, Android phones (which have now over-taken Apple in terms of units shipped), set-top boxes, routers, and 99% of the world's fastest super computers.

I fibbed a little bit earlier about not using Windows, though. I run Windows XP on a virtual server (VirtualBox) under Ubuntu. This is because there are two programs I use that *only* run under Windows: SolidWorks 2001 (for solid modeling) and Protel 1999 (for Schematic/PCB -- now Altium). I refuse to upgrade them because 1) the versions I have do *everything* I need, and 2) it would require me to send some money to Redmond to buy Win7.

As far as Schematic/PCB, I am currently looking into using the gEDA suite of tools. I've already been using the gerbv utility for many years to view and confirm my gerber files. Even then, though, I will not be able to dispense with my XP as I need access to my legacy designs. Oh well...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi Eric. I recommend buying a machine with windows 7. It has the most support at this point and is one of the better OSs out there from Microsoft. I don't recommend getting a machine that ONLY runs windows 8. If you buy that one, I'd highly recommend either uninstalling windows 8 and installing windows 7, or install 7 in a partition. Either way, you MUST have 7. You won't regret it.

Matt

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I like *SolidWorks* but can't use it properly yet! As for Schematics I am using *Eagle 6.2.0* I really improved with it and draw nice schematics now...still have to learn about PCB layout tho

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi Eric. I recommend buying a machine with windows 7. It has the most support at this point and is one of the better OSs out there from Microsoft. I don't recommend getting a machine that ONLY runs windows 8. If you buy that one, I'd highly recommend either uninstalling windows 8 and installing windows 7, or install 7 in a partition. Either way, you MUST have 7. You won't regret it.

Matt
Thanks!

I'll look around first but like you said if I buy that one I will install *Windows7* in a partition.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I like *SolidWorks* but can't use it properly yet! As for Schematics I am using *Eagle 6.2.0* I really improved with it and draw nice schematics now...still have to learn about PCB layout tho
Solidworks is an excellent tool, by far one of my favorites for 3-D CAD drawings. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but it's worth it! Eagle's also one of my favorites. I've done a lot of schematic and PCB design with Eagle 6. If you ever need any help, let me know--I'm always happy to help out.

Thanks!

I'll look around first but like you said if I buy that one I will install *Windows7* in a partition.

I'm not sure anybody is still selling laptops with windows 7 anymore. I think most of them are running 8. But if you CAN find one with 7 that meets your requirements, GET IT! :D

Matt

square wave

Joined Apr 25, 2013
I picked up a Windows 8 laptop from Newegg a few months back. It isn't so bad if you install something like Classic Shell (skips the awful Metro touch screen, adds a start menu) and change all the default programs to something other than those screen hogging phone apps. Seriously, all Microsoft had to do was add a few toggle options to make 8 look like 7, and they would have avoided the majority of the flak they've gotten. But they know better than their customers, and they're paying for it.

There's also the secure boot bios thing that can make installing a second OS tricky/frustrating/nerve wracking, depending on your computer literacy. I tried with Ubuntu a while ago and bailed after the error messages started cropping up. I'm told Linux distros have made some advances here, but I haven't had the time to look into it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I picked up a Windows 8 laptop from Newegg a few months back. It isn't so bad if you install something like Classic Shell (skips the awful Metro touch screen, adds a start menu) and change all the default programs to something other than those screen hogging phone apps. Seriously, all Microsoft had to do was add a few toggle options to make 8 look like 7, and they would have avoided the majority of the flak they've gotten. But they know better than their customers, and they're paying for it.

There's also the secure boot bios thing that can make installing a second OS tricky/frustrating/nerve wracking, depending on your computer literacy. I tried with Ubuntu a while ago and bailed after the error messages started cropping up. I'm told Linux distros have made some advances here, but I haven't had the time to look into it.
I didn't mind the metro interface so much as the lack of support for a lot of the programs I use. I'm glad I had it installed on a partition alongside 7, because I often found myself having to go back to 7 to get my work done. That's the only reason I recommend 7 over 8 at this point. Hopefully better support will become available for programs in the near future, but last I used win8, it wasn't there yet.

Matt

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Could you please elaborate, nerdegutta?
I'm a Linux guy.

And as you already know, you can get all sorts of programs for Linux. :D

I've had a few laptops, HP, Acer, IBM and Lenovo. (Nowadays IBM and Lenovo is the same.) I've always been most satisfied with Lenovo/IBM.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Apparently Laptops running with *Windows 7* are more expensive than those with 8.

I am still looking around...