Buy from these Ali Express/Amazon sellers at your own risk

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yep 10 for 60 cents is hard to resist when reputable US dealers ask for over 1USD each. The only problem is now they want ~2.5USD to ship them which is still much cheaper than most US vendors. Sometimes if you can order several items from the same AliX vendor, you get a break on shipping costs. Just ordered some chips the other day @ ~1USD/10 and the only had 1USD for shipping so I ordered 4 different lots. Probably it will all be crap but maybe I can get lucky but it's always a crapshoot. I do test ALL with a simple go/no-go test circuit to see if they even have a reasonable output and a good third of the time they fail. Thx for the heads-up on the slew rate. I knew that they were supposed to be fast but all I checked was to see if they had a following output as the 3 previous orders flatlined. Similar items like Xstrs and regulators seem to have a much better reliability factor. It can get very frustrating dealing with AliX vendors but so far all of my refund requests have been accepted and fully paid.

Why aren't we mentioning the Ali store names that sell fake semi's?
I bought ADC TC835 from liaoxiyuan/SICSTOCK and they ran fine for about 2 minutes, then shorted.
Bought a bunch of JFETs from shenzen IC store, like always there is only one laser in china doing all markings so they look vanilla but appear to work OK. I have to do more tests on them. TO-92's the leads are only plated up near the body.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
As I've said, it's a real crapshoot. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. If I knew of any "only good parts" vendors I'd let everyone know. Unfortunately, they all seem to be hit or miss and those that miss a LOT just shut down and open under a new name with a 100% reliability score to start anew. Transistors and regulators seem to have fewer issues than chips. I've gotten refunds for "out of spec" capacitors that are far from 20% error. Some up to 150% error. I've been buying 1% resistors from another china vendor on eBay that so far are within spec. It seems to me that many vendors have no clue as to what they are selling other than their profit margin.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Why aren't we mentioning the Ali store names that sell fake semi's?
You can post your own experiences with bad sellers here. If you post enough information, I'll update the first post.

My opinion is that for the prices Ali Express sellers charge for semiconductors (and many other things), they have to be selling counterfeits. There may be an occasional who is honest and is buying in quantity, packaging in smaller quantity, and passing some of the savings to their customers. But, the vast majority only care about making money. If that means knowingly selling counterfeit product, many of them will do that. My impression is that most of the sellers are clueless about what they're selling. All they care about is making a profit. They don't even need repeat customers.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Apparently there are NO false advertising laws in china and therefore no compunction against lying. A bit of puffery is one thing but outright bald face lying seems to be the standard ethos. They don't even bother to call them generic and use the trademarks of very reputable companies without thinking twice about it. I'm sure a lot of those chips have been around long enough for their patents to have rolled off but trademark infringement? US Customs just waves them on through...

I stay using a few Aliexpress electronics-only stores that are not the bottom price and have given me decent parts, or higher than say 98% rated. Who would buy IC's from the stores selling garden trinkets, pantyhose etc?
But many stores seem to all have similar names, or photo watermarks from other stores so I think they run a shell game.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yes most use "Stock Images" instead of what they are actually peddling. Apparently there are no "False Advertising" laws in china and no cultural compunction against doing so. It goes well beyond puffery to outright balderdash and fraud. I recently bought a 500g brick of Puerh tea from a vendor and there were several vendors all using the same pictures of "What was for sale". However the pictures were actually of a Kilogram brick of the same tea so what came in the mail was half the size of what was advertised albeit it did weigh 500g and was the same tea. I do avoid the home gadgetry and clothing vendors to buy electronics and tea from and stick to those that specialize in their only type of product. The only bright side is AliX is good about issuing refunds when the fraud is documented although it is a pain in the rear.

tepalia02

Joined May 13, 2022
All Electronics Trading company.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1972789887.html?spm=a2g0s.issue_5ptha.0.0.5e1f4c4dhZmpWO

I bought some level shifters that use an N channel MOSFET and this is how they packaged them:
View attachment 218260

When I asked for a refund, they asked me if I tested them. I refused and they stopped responding, so I filed a dispute and AE issued a refund in a day. I expected them to make me jump through hoops like they've done in the past and then reject my request.

EDIT:
An updated list of the bad sellers:
  1. All Electronics Trading Company - improper packaging for MOSFET level shifters.
  2. LianDong Store - rusty alligator clips (30+ out of 60)
  3. XingBoXin Store - 3x5 cm prototype boards with too many shorts (50+ of 100 boards)
  4. <store removed> - mSATA to SATA adapter not as advertised (said metal, it was plastic). AE sided with Seller and ignored dispute of their resolution.
  5. Daijun ccc Store - switching power supplies, store removed. Appeared to try starting another store (DAIJUN 3ccc Store that quickly disappeared). UPDATE: no product received before buyer protection ran out. The only response from the seller was to try to reduce one of the refunds by $0.57.
  6. NVVV AliExpress store - sold defective (reworked) power supply as new. https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...-power-supplies-aliexpress-and-amazon.184746/
  7. Low priced Wanptek power supplies https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...s-seller-at-your-own-risk.173035/post-1727893
Thanks for making us aware. Actually, I do not consider alliexpress a trustworthy source for electronic components.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Actually, I do not consider alliexpress a trustworthy source for electronic components.
That's generally true for unmounted semiconductors, but I think it's worth the risk for the level shifters in question when Sparkfun wants 10 times what they typically go for on Ali Express. I suspect that Chinese companies know enough to avoid disreputable sources for their parts.
1652709727991.png
My complaint was that they didn't package, therefore handle, them properly, so they weren't worth trying to use.

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
need to add a company called MGOD who sell smart lithium ion smart bms units as well,Brought one about 6 months ago ,it sat for weeks as i waited for the 18650 cells to arrive,it never worked from day 1 !,all i got was messed about eventualy there answer was buy a new one,Total sh1t bags!!

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
Also a thing that seems to happen a lot on ebay isdoing a search for uk only,ordering an item then takes months to arrive only to get it strait from china when it was supposedly in uk,checking shows the seller china based!.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
need to add a company called MGOD who sell smart lithium ion smart bms units
Was this from an Ali Express seller? I've found that you need to inspect most things when you receive them.
Also a thing that seems to happen a lot on ebay isdoing a search for uk only,ordering an item then takes months to arrive only to get it strait from china when it was supposedly in uk,checking shows the seller china based!.
They're getting smarter and knowingly give false information.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
A company can have a business address anywhere in the world, and similarly, the fulfillment center can be anywhere in the world, and not necessarily the same place. I have been getting things from Shenhzen, Hongkong, Taipei, and Singapore over the last couple of years.

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
yes it was complete in the box just was totaly dead,just got endless automated bots telling me too check conections etc,that went on for about 8 weeks then a customer services guy told me same,then yet another guy took over the case,he told me the same thing,then said if i post it back they will fix it,when i said ok at your cost he then said the solution was to buy another one,just got messed around for about 4 or 5 months to get shaffted!.

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
it will be a few weeks before i get them as am stuck in bed followng a foot operaton ok.
Read

25/04 12:33

I hope you'll get better soon. You can leave me messages when you feel better. I'll wait for your good news.
I hope you'll get better soon. You can leave me messages when you feel better. I'll wait for your good news.
Alibaba Translation

26/04 12:05

I'm sorry that I can't help you any more, because I was fired by the company today. I think today is not my day. I apologize for your terrible purchase experience again and hope you can get good serve later. Have a nice day and be well. Sincere Ryan.
I'm sorry that I can't help you any more, because I was fired by the company today. I think today is not my day. I apologize for your terrible purchase experience again and hope you can get good serve later. Have a nice day and be well. Sincere Ryan.
Alibaba Translation

27/04 10:12

Your query has now been assigned to Damon Ye.

27/04 10:18

hi paul ,im the new guy from MGod bms . my name is Damon .Are your feet better?
hi paul ,im the new guy from MGod bms . my name is Damon .Are your feet better?
Alibaba Translation

19/05 21:23

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...r-at-your-own-risk.173035/page-7#post-1734147
Read

19/05 23:57

no i am not feeling better,why should i,you sold me a faulty unit and just mest me around for months and not replaced the bms,im telling all the forums about your terrible products and services,read the link.!
Read

21/05 08:17

seems you are all just liars!
Read

21/05 11:33

hi Paul

l am Sophia

the manager of the shop ,what can I do for you [Smile]

what’s wrong with the bms

12:14

it is totaly dead no bt uart working and no output,it has never worked since it arrived,all the connections are good etc and it wont turn on,ive connected a charger as well,the unit is dead.so far your service has been rubbish.
Read

seems you lie about your names even!
Read

unless you send me a working replacement at your cost everyone will be told on the ev/electronics forums not to use your company,this has been going on for months now,look back at the message history,sort it out please.
Read

12:34

does it always bad?

could you please send me a photo or video about it [Smile]

22:11

no as ive removed it
Unread

22:18

it has never worked,the only way to use my battery pack was too bypass the bms but that meant it wouldnt ballance charge,i brought one from llt,connected that exactly the same way as yours,ie common port and theres works fine,your unit is dead,total rubbish,you are now listed as number 8 on electronics point as a company to avoid,you could of easily avoided this by sending a replacement as i asked months ago.as i said it has NEVER WORKED since i received it,seems you have no or bad qc on your products!
Your seller is #8 in the list of shame.
Alibaba Translation

27/04 10:12