Buy from these Ali Express/Amazon sellers at your own risk

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm working with this seller for a problem with shorted pads. So far more than 30 of 100 boards have 1-5 shorts. They didn't mention anything about that feature in the description, so I'm treating them as defects. The seller seems so clueless that they don't understand what shorts are and why they're a problem. I sent them pictures.

protoboardsSeller.jpg

I've had problems with these boards with other sellers, but never more than 1 short on less than 10 percent of the boards. This was too much and most of the shorts weren't just a sliver of copper, so they'll be a PITA to fix.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I am convinced that the majority of vendors on AliX know nothing about what they are selling other than their profit margin. One guy I dealt with apparently didn't even stock what he was selling. When he received an order he then turned around and bought it for less than what he was selling it for and had it shipped to the customer by the vendor he was buying from. He was only a broker.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Getting 10 modules for $1.49 should waive your right to complain. For that much of a deal you should *assume* the packaging is poor.
Why should I assume a seller is disreputable? Others were selling the same product for about the same price.
Sorry, dl324, but you're wrong.
You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. Ali Express dispute resolution and I say you are the one who is wrong.

How's Pythagoras doing?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I assume that what they are selling is legit. If it isn't I yank their chain without any qualms about it and have no remorse doing it. If the vendor has no clue about what he is selling then he needs to be selling something he does know at least a little about other than his profit margin.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I assume that what they are selling is legit
Same here.

I started this thread as a public service announcement to help members avoid being scammed by disreputable or clueless sellers. It doesn't matter how little they're selling something for. They're all doing it to make a profit and I'm okay with that. If they're selling and losing money, that's their business.

Letting anyone sell defective product and not have it cost them something just lets them stay in business longer so they can claim more victims.

Being an informed buyer who expects to get what they paid for isn't a bad thing. The ones who accept being scammed are fools who are easily parted from their money. Or maybe they're scammers who are standing up for their kind...

SeanV123

Joined Nov 12, 2020
Hi everyone, I bought two servo motors from eBay for $3 and am wondering has anyone else here have experience of buying cheap components online. Being honest, it doesnt matter to me if they work or not as I spent pocket change on them. Just curious to see if they do and others opinions. Thank you!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
anyone else here have experience of buying cheap components online.
If you're not buying from authorized distributors/resellers, the internet is full of disreputable people.

I bought a counterfeit BMW ignition switch on Amazon. I've seen semiconductors sold on eBay that the sellers were helpful enough to post pictures that clearly indicated that the product was counterfeit (I report those to eBay). I won't buy anything on eBay that ships from China (Sellers are getting wise to this).

I won't buy many electronic parts on Ali Express. Assembled/kit products I'll take a chance on. Tools, wires, connectors too. I've bought MOSFETs that appear to conform to the datasheet specs (AO3400 and AO3401).

Being honest, it doesnt matter to me if they work or not as I spent pocket change on them.
That said, I do have expectations of anything I buy; regardless of origin or price. Static sensitive parts need to be packaged appropriately. Although this doesn't guarantee safe handling at all times, it's a start. Unless I'm buying used product, I expect the parts to be in new condition and usable for the intended purpose without modification (e.g. pad per hole prototype boards with no shorts).

You need to be a good consumer and not let disreputable sellers take advantage of you. If not for the money, do it for the principle; you might save others spending more money some grief.

Last edited:

SeanV123

Joined Nov 12, 2020
If you're not buying from authorized distributors/resellers, the internet is full of disreputable people.

I bought a counterfeit BMW ignition switch on Amazon. I've seen semiconductors sold on eBay that the sellers were helpful enough to post pictures that clearly indicated that the product was counterfeit (I report those to eBay). I won't buy anything on eBay that ships from China (Sellers are getting wise to this).

I won't buy many electronic parts on Ali Express. Assembled/kit products I'll take a chance on. Tools, wires, connectors too. I've bought MOSFETs that appear to conform to the datasheet specs (AO3400 and AO3401).

That said, I do have expectations of anything I buy; regardless of origin or price. Static sensitive parts need to be packaged appropriately. Although this doesn't guarantee safe handling at all times, it's a start. Unless I'm buying used product, I expect the parts to be in new condition and usable for the intended purpose without modification (e.g. pad per hole prototype boards with no shorts).

You need to be a good consumer and not let disreputable sellers take advantage of you. If not for the money, do it for the principle; you might save others spending more money some grief.
Thank you very much big guy

Well, for me, every company has a <Mod: link deleted> if the company is breaking the law by refusing a refund, you can then point it out to them, and second, know the company policy on refunds. If they are breaking their own policy, also point that out to them. I’ve even heard of someone walking into a shop with a printout of the company’s policy on coupons because she had previously been refused using them, so she returned to the shop armed with a printout of their own policy, and won that battle. good on her. also rather funny, and third, always have your receipt. cos it’s an uphill battle if you haven’t got a receipt. Online refunds can be more difficult, though. I’ve had to fight a few times to get refunds off ebay sellers, or other online sellers. but if you persist, you usually get your money back. just keep at them daily until you get your money back.

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
Another defective item from a different seller.
View attachment 223925
View attachment 223924
I was fortunate that the boot slid back from one that I was checking or I might not have noticed the rust until it was too late to get a refund.

I bought 60 and more than half were bad enough for me to complain.
I got some crock clips that had silicon boots that were so slippery that you couldn't get the jaws open, or even hold on to them! I wrapped some rubber tape inside the terminal, and that helped, but in the end, I just tossed the boots.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LOL! Yup, I got some of those too. Oily as all heck and a pain to use. Most AliX vendors have no idea of what they are selling. They simply buy low and mark up as much as the market will bear to make a profit. And if the vendor gets a bad reputation, he simply closed the shop and opens another with a different name and does it all over again.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I had a recent dispute with AE regarding an mSATA to SATA adapter. The seller described the materials as PC (which I took to mean printed circuit board) and metal. What I received was a plastic case, and the expected printed circuit board. When I told the seller my complaint, they simply said it's not their fault. When AE got involved, they sided with the seller.

When I tried to look at the snapshot that AE keeps for your past orders to dispute their resolution, I found the information was no longer available and that the seller no longer listed that item. AE said to "wait a few days" for my dispute of their resolution. That was weeks ago and there's no option for me to do anything about it.

The seller was Computer Assembly Store.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There has been quite a bit of discussion over counterfeit parts and selling counterfeit goods. No, No, No, they are NOT counterfeit, they are "Replicas"! The new buzz word coming from a large country in asia known for selling counterfeit or generic parts and goods. They are merely Replicas now! I doubt the customs inspectors of many countries importing these "replicas" are buying into the new hype.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I urge everyone to submit a claim immediately if something isnt right. I tested some of those mosfets and when I found 3 bad, I tossed the bag of 50 (After receiving a refund) You only have a limited time to claim a refund and Ali.

on the flip side, I’m very happy with my T12 knock off soldering iron and the OWON bench meter, metric stainless screws, standoffs and lots of other stuff I’ve purchased Recently.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yep, they are really iffy. I always test any components from them with a test circuit for a basic go/nogo. I often have to ask for a refund and so far, have always been given one. Their prices a cheap and you will often get what you paid for, cheap crap. That and their components are often "replicas", their new name for counterfeit.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I ordered a couple of power supplies recently. The Seller disappeared from Ali Express shortly after they were shipped. I've never had that happen before. Apparently Sellers close a store and open a new one when they run in to issues with AE and/or customers. I wonder if I'll receive anything...

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
The funniest description of "fake" parts I have heard is they are a "homage" to the original, said with a chines version of a French accent !