Buy from these Ali Express/Amazon sellers at your own risk

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I just received this - ordered from Aliexpress and I'm amazed. When I received it I thought they had sent me just the case because it was so light... also comes with a cable. I'm making copies of files and so far so good, I'm about 200 GB into it.
1708629046605.png

Update: The transfer speed is not as advertised but the overall capacity is good. So while it's not as fast as the Samsung SSD drives, it might work as cheap backup drives. Lets hope they last... (I will update if I see early failure)

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm making copies of files and so far so good, I'm about 200 GB into it.
For the price you paid, I'd test the entire capacity before I'd consider it good. When counterfeiters hack the devices to make them seem to have higher capacity, you have to exceed the actual capacity before files start to get overwritten.

To save time, you can create a very large file, generate a checksum, and make copies to fill the disk. Then you can check the checksums to see if any files got corrupted.

If it turns out to be genuine, you should post in the thread where members have had good experiences with sellers on AliExpress. I'm reluctant to give positive reviews because I just recently purchased Li-ion batteries from a seller that I had had good luck with (batteries from the first order delivered something like 80-90% of the advertised capacity). Bought slightly higher capacity batteries from the same manufacturer and got taken. Had to dispute AliExpress' resolution to get a full refund.

That's the problem with some Chinese manufacturers. They start cutting corners and you have to keep doing quality assurance to make sure they aren't ripping you off.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
More ferrous wire leads that are supposed to be copper:
1709938651455.png
1709938743371.png
EDIT: AliExpress has changed their dispute process. You can no longer use Eva to initiate a dispute. If you do that, you'll get connected with a customer service representative (and pretty quickly in my experience).

Instead, you go to the order details page for that item and click on the returns/refunds button. You can't specify how much refund you want or whether you want to return the item. AliExpress makes their decision. If you disagree, you have to dispute their resolution.

A 100% no-return refund was granted for this item as soon as I submitted the dispute. Funds were returned in 2 days. I would have accepted a partial, no-return refund because I can reuse the alligator clips and banana plugs.

At least you no longer have to waste time dealing with a seller who's not inclined to give a no-return refund before AliExpress gets involved and you start negotiating how much of a refund you're going to get.

You have to check connection quality on 100% of this type of lead. They don't use robust connections. I use part of a solderless connector to get a better connection to the banana plug. If I see too many stray wires on the alligator clip, I pry it open, solder the wire to the clip, and re-crimp the clip.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Improper packaging for MOSFETs:
AE-IRF9540ImproperPackaging.jpg
1710189693751.png

I planned to do 100% testing to check for counterfeits, but now I need to worry about reliability of the ones that do work.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I use those a whole lot more than the standard multimeter probes. Even on the power supplies at times.
I was using the good ones for power supply leads for testing the MOSFETs in post #205 (that I ended up keeping) while I was waiting for AliExpress dispute resolution to come up with a solution. They're thicker than the AWG22 leads I usually use.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I've got a couple sets of them by Pomona and while I love their end connectors, I hate their thin wiry wire with thin insulation between them. Why oh why didn't they use the same wire as their standard patch cords! I also bought 18AWG Silicone Red and Blk and some better quality mini-grabbers and made a bunch myself that I've not used up yet. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for the molded banana jack end with piggyback connection but I rarely use them. And yes, I've trashed a bunch of cheaply built ones as well.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Fixing the poor quality connections on those copper plated ferrous wire leads.

I use some solderless connectors I have no other use for to repair the shoddy connections. I mark the ferrous wire leads with yellow heat shrink so I know not to use them where the resistance will be a problem.
steelWireToBananaPlugRepair.jpg

davidzhao

Joined Apr 2, 2024
Many people is very busy at doing the business for the components.For the quality,when sold to foreigner (outside of China mainland),most of the time is high quality.Since very few people want to solve the trouble when it have some quality issue.But if someone who just want to cheat for the money,they could not hold the company for long time.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But if someone who just want to cheat for the money,they could not hold the company for long time.
Lying, cheating, and stealing are valid business models on AliExpress. Do a search for 18650 batteries and you'll find that most advertise capacities that are unbelievable and they're all fakes. Test leads with copper wires seem to be the exception, not the norm.

Some things are "okay" even if they're low quality knock offs, but there's too much outright fraud on that site.

davidzhao

Joined Apr 2, 2024
Lying, cheating, and stealing are valid business models on AliExpress. Do a search for 18650 batteries and you'll find that most advertise capacities that are unbelievable and they're all fakes. Test leads with copper wires seem to be the exception, not the norm.

Some things are "okay" even if they're low quality knock offs, but there's too much outright fraud on that site.
I could understand that there is some fraud in Aliexpress,but maybe some of the boss who did not know the parameter of their products .Since they are just trade company.Have no testing equipment or lab for their productions.But for this issue,I find that many USA trade company did very well.They are serious testing their parts in every aspect,and offer a report without cheating.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I could understand that there is some fraud in Aliexpress,but maybe some of the boss who did not know the parameter of their products .Since they are just trade company.Have no testing equipment or lab for their productions.
Sellers not knowing anything about what they're selling is the norm on AliExpress. Whenever I tried to negotiate with a seller for a refund or partial refund, the story was usually the same. There's nothing wrong with the product and you can use it.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to negotiate with the sellers. I initiate a dispute with AliExpress and let them deal with it.
I find that many USA trade company did very well.They are serious testing their parts in every aspect,and offer a report without cheating
This thread isn't about US companies, though there is one post about an Amazon purchase. I've seen ads on Amazon that use the same stock photos as items on AliExpress. I suspect that those items are the same quality as the items on AliExpress with higher prices.

Last edited:

davidzhao

Joined Apr 2, 2024
Sellers not knowing anything about what they're selling is the norm on AliExpress. Whenever I tried to negotiate with a seller for a refund or partial refund, the story was usually the same. There's nothing wrong with the product and you can use it.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to negotiate with the sellers. I initiate a dispute with AliExpress and let them deal with it.
This thread isn't about US companies, though there is one post about an Amazon purchase. I've seen ads on Amazon that use the same stock photos as items on AliExpress. I suspect that those items are the same quality as the items on AliExpress with higher prices.
Someone who sold in Aliexpress also sell the component at the Amazon.I Myself really do not like someone who provide very low price with low quality products.The quality is the first!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The quality is the first!
How do you know if a more expensive option from a reputable US source isn't some low quality item that came from China and is similar in quality to items on AliExpress?

For example:
This from Jameco.com:
1712631802753.png
and this from AliExpress:
1712631776793.png

Or this:
1712631999952.png
1712632028180.png

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have been buying from a well-established distributor that sells at lot of stuff made in China as well as other places. One time they sent the wrong parts and the replacements were sent to me by express mail and I had them by the next day. That is service! If they had been dealing with counterfeit or other not-so-good parts, they probably would not have been able to supply parts to OEMs for the last 39 years. When you are building stuff to sell, you can't mess around with junk.

I have been buying from a well-established distributor that sells at lot of stuff made in China as well as other places. One time they sent the wrong parts and the replacements were sent to me by express mail and I had them by the next day. That is service! If they had been dealing with counterfeit or other not-so-good parts, they probably would not have been able to supply parts to OEMs for the last 39 years. When you are building stuff to sell, you can't mess around with junk.
Find the right one,just like me,who emphasiss about the quality and services ,and who want to do the business in a long running.That will be good way to solve the problem.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
IRFZ44N from (link removed because it appears to be dangerous) shipped in plastic bags.
AE-IRFZ44plasticBags.jpg

1714143116425.png

Last edited by a moderator: