stopband-2-4 khz
passband ripple-3 db
stopband attenuation-20 db
sampling frequency-8 khz

determine the passband and stopband edge frequency

please tell me the hint or formula to calculate passband and stopband frequency

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
Surely whatever class or book this question came from also gave you the tools to answer it. Else what is the point of the class?

However, it doesn't make sense. A Butterworth filter shouldn't have passband ripple.

If you can assume it's a Butterworth filter (no passband ripple) or that it's a Chebyshev filter with 3dB passband ripple, then the beginning of your answer is right there. You have the minimum frequency your passband must extend to, you have the maximum frequency your stopband must start at, and you have the attenuation that must be seen at the start of the stopband. The class or book or whatever should have explained how to take those numbers and determine the filter order needed and cutoff calculation.

butter designs lowpass, bandpass, highpass, and bandstop digital and analog Butterworth filters. Butterworth filters are characterized by a magnitude response that is maximally flat in the passband and monotonic overall.
<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Surely whatever class or book this question came from also gave you the tools to answer it. Else what is the point of the class?

However, it doesn't make sense. A Butterworth filter shouldn't have passband ripple.

If you can assume it's a Butterworth filter (no passband ripple) or that it's a Chebyshev filter with 3dB passband ripple, then the beginning of your answer is right there. You have the minimum frequency your passband must extend to, you have the maximum frequency your stopband must start at, and you have the attenuation that must be seen at the start of the stopband. The class or book or whatever should have explained how to take those numbers and determine the filter order needed and cutoff calculation.
this is unsolved question I don't have anything to solve it i have googled and spend lot of time to find out but I didn't found anything

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
this is unsolved question I don't have anything to solve it i have googled and spend lot of time to find out but I didn't found anything
Ok. You have a transfer function. You plug a frequency into the transfer function, do the math, you come up with a number between 0 and 1.

When you plug a cutoff frequency of the filter into the transfer function, the result is 0.707, so 0.707=transfer function. Now solve it for the frequency.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
butterworth digital low pass filter has following specification

passband-0-500 hz
stopband-2-4 khz
passband ripple-3 db
stopband attenuation-20 db
sampling frequency-8 khz

determine the passband and stopband edge frequency
please tell me the hint or formula to calculate passband and stopband frequency
Hi vead,
Some days ago you have opened another thread dealing with the same subject :
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=93040

In my answer (post#2) I told you that there is no simple formula for calculating such a filter. First, you have to choose one of different design strategies available.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hi vead,
Some days ago you have opened another thread dealing with the same subject :
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=93040

In my answer (post#2) I told you that there is no simple formula for calculating such a filter. First, you have to choose one of different design strategies available.
that was different post but topic is same I thought may be someone can help in this way but now I think no one can help me I have to do myself

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
....now I think no one can help me I have to do myself
Rather, I think it is not possible to help you based on some rough information in this forum. The task is rather complex and requires more work than can be done by simply ask questions and give answers.