Busted mp3 player revival!!!

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
this is how the story goes:
i had this 524mb mp3 which i used. i was on a bus and then i noticed the play /pause/on/off button got stuck so as soon as i got off the bus i smashed the whole thing up, i picked up the pieces and threw them in my pocket.

the screen got busted and so did the casing, but i fixed the stuck button problem. now that the screen is busted i cannot manage through the menus but i remember which buttons i pressed to get to the folder containing the songs. i attached 2 jumpwires to the battery terminls, hooked up 1.55 v through and the little led lit up so the mp3 player was working!!!

i tried to navigate throught the menu without a screen untill finally i succeeded and heard songs through the earphones.

this is what i would like to do.
i want to create an outboard circuit that "presses" the series of buttons needed to get to the songs at a push of a button.

this button has to
-first press the ON button for 2 seconds to light up the mp3,
-then press the select button
-and then press "ok"

so that would make 3 commands that have to be done in series.

can anyone suggest a simple circuit ??

It does not have to be compact as this mp3 will not be used anymore in public but ill stick it somwhere to my rooms' sound stystem fo a cool song supply system

=)

thanks beforehand
Redace Jr:cool:

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
525 meg? You can get 1 gig for under $20 (might spend that much on parts/shipping).

Why smash it over a stuck button? Could have cleaned it and saved some grief, usually nothing to get upset over.

Your best bet would be a microcontroller, since you have several buttons, which need to be press several times, in a certain sequence... We haven't a clue. Unless you already have a programmer, or access to one, that starts around $20. Have seen a few that were virtually free, but you need a parallel port and cable. What's better: A new MP3 player, or a barely functional FrankenPod?

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
im not fixing the thing because i can't afford another one !! i have an ipod and another 2 gig mp3 player and i definitely dont need this one. im just trying something new as i have material to work on!!

the button was not stuck because of dirt as i had to pull it out with the keys and a piece of wire even after the casing was smashed so dirt was not the problem, i think somthing melted inside as to get it to work i had a new push switch attached.

your programmable circuit idea is not bad, ill try it tonight with basic stamp II but i think there is some sort of passive-semiconductor material method to do this thing i hope as i dont want to sacrifice a 60$ board for a permanent circuit... =S

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
You can use a 555 to clock a 4017 decade counter with 3 of the outputs switching 3 sections of a 4066 quad bilateral switch with those bilateral switches wired in parallel with the existing switches.
I used a similar system Many years ago..(before MP3) to select Random/Play/Repeat on 6 disk CD players for mall sound systems.

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
i love your idea Gadget but is it possible to use 3 dpdt relays instead of the quad bilateral switch as to turn off the thing you need to press the on button for 2 seconds or so and the quad bilateral switch would need an extra 555 timer to hold on to it. this would remove some complicatins and money i think...