Business as usual, Products with potential Health Hazards

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
https://www.wired.com/2007/12/fema-katrina-tr/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will measure formaldehyde levels in 500 trailers provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency as housing for victims of Hurricane Katrina.
However, the scope and design of the study, announced during a press conference today, suggest that it can do little more than confirm what's already known: the trailers contain high levels of formaldehyde, a known respiratory irritant and carcinogen.
Walls and cabients in 120,000 trailers distributed by FEMA after Katrina were made from formaldehyde-containing particleboard. Soon after moving in, many residents reported respiratory problemsresembling those associated with formaldehyde poisoning. At least 47,000 trailers are still being used.
What other is the question? is also contaminating our environment with chemicals weakening our immune systems at will, viruses and pathogens will run amiss to alter our genes and make us weaker as humans destine for catastrophe. I’m sure many people may find in this time we find ourselves looking for answer’s to the questions concerning our health, early studies have led us down a dark road for humanity.

kv

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Think about this... Overuse of handsanitizer has brought about antibiotic resistant bacteria. People increasingly die from hospital acquired bacterial infections that are untreatable.

What are we forcing to evolve with our current fight against this virus? Globally everyone is asked to sanitize everything constantly. Whatever emerges after this will likely be much worse than this virus.

We have no new antibiotics and there are already multiple infections that have to be treated with a cocktail of drugs.

I also have read a rather optimistic article about how HIV made people practice safw sex and removed stigma from STD testing. What they did not mention is that since HIV has been basically cured (drug is readily available in the west and successfully controls the virus), people reverted back to easy living (think Tinder hook up culture). Oh well, live by the sword, die by the sword

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Think about this... Overuse of handsanitizer has brought about antibiotic resistant bacteria. People increasingly die from hospital acquired bacterial infections that are untreatable.
What about the doctors that supply antibiotics for patients with a common cold? Since a cold is another form of corona virus, antibiotics do nothing for it. Then you have the people that are prescribed antibiodics that stop taking them before the whole course of treatment, as soon as they start to feel better, no more pills.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
We never knew the dangers of some of these products. My dad used to let me play with gasoline with bare hands!

I’d get some styrofoam packing material in a glass bowl and pour gasoline over it. Then. I mixed it together with my hands until I had a putty-like mixture.

in addition to this clueless behavior, I took some to my middle school science teacher. We played with the substance on an overhead projector as part of a class on what does ‘alive’ mean?

Also, I am surprised that my Dad let me do this. As a toddler. We lived across the street from an EPA Superfund* site. They mixed and processed all sorts of solvents. He worked there for one day, came home with clothes soaked in solvents, coughing, having breathing difficulty and severe headaches. He called in to quit the next day.

* Here is a link to the Baird & McGuire Superfund site EPA report

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are so many things introduced into our environment that we know little about and only now discovering.
Examples, lead, mercury, asbestos, silica, coal dust, cigarette smoke, ozone, radioactivity, power lines, radio waves, cell phones, GM food, pesticides. This is a long and incomplete list and is not intended to stir up debate on any one.

"Silent Sprint" by Rachel Carson was published in 1962.
Fifty eight years later, what have we learnt?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
and is not intended to stir up debate on any one.

"Silent Sprint" by Rachel Carson was published in 1962.
Fifty eight years later, what have we learnt?
I wasn’t trying to stir up a debate, all I wanted to do with this is get people to listen and eat healthier, lord knows I can’t even get my wife to watch what she consumes many of these things are found in food. Many countries around the world have banned these products sold in the U.S. no one understands that some of the products we consume alter our Genes breaking down our immune system, increasing on every level the health related issues, name them all are a part of a system of destruction on a cellular level.

kv

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Agreed.

We accredit the Green Revolution for advancing food production and staving off starvation. Yet we do not know the long term effects on our immune system with the widespread application of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, antibiotics, and introduction of GMO in our food chain.

92% of corn grown in the U.S. has been genetically engineered.

One thing we know for sure is that the Green Revolution has played a significant role in global population which increased by 6 billion people in the last 100 years (from 2 billion in 1920). This exacerbates the situation we are witnessing now when a global pandemic strikes.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
92% of corn grown in the U.S. has been genetically engineered.
But then again almost every vegetable and flower has. Genetic engineering is different than GMO, or at least the way I understand it. Genetic Engineering is also known as Hybridization. There are very few and far between plants that are grown to day that aren't hybrids.

GMOs are when a gene is taken from one plant type and inserted in another, usually to fight some sort of disease in the host plant.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
scientists have engineered bacteria that produce medication-grade drugs, crops with built-in pesticides, and beagles that glow in the dark.
How did the original practice of selective breeding(animal,vegetable)evolve into the concept of genetically modified organisms. It is not natural selection but artificial selection we typically consider GMO technology today, it is still the precursor to the modern processes and the earliest example of our species influencing genetics.