burnt contactor coils in an ATS panel

ibegbu_e

Joined Nov 8, 2009
Can any one help please. On of the contactor coils in my ATS panel kept burning after replacing it. The ATS controls two generator and mains power. The contactor that controls the mains power kept burning(melting the insulation) The coil is a 220-240v coil. (supply is also 220v) A Lovato product. I have checked the circuit and connections but see nothing wrong.

This is the third time I am replacing this coil. Can anybody help here please

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Can any one help please. On of the contactor coils in my ATS panel kept burning after replacing it. The ATS controls two generator and mains power. The contactor that controls the mains power kept burning(melting the insulation) The coil is a 220-240v coil. (supply is also 220v) A Lovato product. I have checked the circuit and connections but see nothing wrong.

This is the third time I am replacing this coil. Can anybody help here please
How quick does it go? Post a two line drawing.

ibegbu_e

Joined Nov 8, 2009
It can stay for up to two or three weeks before going bad. But there is a lot of power cut so average working time can be put to 7 hours a day. what do you mean by two line drawing. Thanks for replying

ibegbu_e

Joined Nov 8, 2009
There is something else i did to check where the problem is coming from. I replaced the coil with a 110volt coil and connected a step down transformer(220volts to 110volt) before the coil but the transformer got fried after some days

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Don't see a transformer, contact coil, or controls to operate coil. voltages need to be marked along with cb/fuses, etc,etc.

A meaningful answer can only come from meaningful information.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Low voltage can burn a contactor coil pretty quickly. If you are seeing a lot of power (line) drops, is the voltage at the proper value when it returns or does it come on at a low voltage and creep up to normal value?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Start up and shut down surge currents can and do exceed the average name plate ratings of the equipment.

Perhaps using a contactor with a HIGHER rating(at least 2x the rating; if 15amp, then use 30 amp contactors) is all you need to do.