Building PLC project. I have a homework and I don't find the subject.

SeherMavi

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Hii All
Firstly I'm sorry because my English is not so good. But, I will try to explain as much as possible. I have a homework and I don't find the subject. Following are the contents of my homework. I would be glad if you help.

What to include in your project

*At least 3 digital sensor
*At least 3 digital output
*At least 1 analog sensor
*System or memory bite usage
*Block-based programming (at least 2 function usage)

Optional: (
Your project must include at least one
)

• PID
• HMI
• Encoder (HSC)
•Control PWM output
*Control with analog output

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I suspect the OP is Not using PLC in the Industrial control meaning of the word.
Many tend to also use PLC for any programmable controller such as PICmicro etc.
For the Industrial PLC, that is quite a project if it is the first.
Max.

SeherMavi

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Thanks a lot Bertus. But I know how to use the commands, I don't find the project. How can I write a project to contain them.

SeherMavi

Joined Apr 8, 2016
You're right Max. But we're at the initial level. So my teacher gave this homework. He wants to make sure we knew the PLC logic

SeherMavi

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Last edited:
It sounds like a targeted task to me....
I suspect you are expected to find an application that needs to measure something, not speed, like flow or more easily level.
then
Use a pid loop to drive a device, a pump perhaps, which is controlled with a PWM output.
Since you loop is essentall going to output a rate requirement and your pump, lets assume its positive displacement, is not phase locked when driven with variable DC, PWM ypu will need to read its speed, to calculate its rate which is where the counter come in.

To be fair that would be two loops but I guess thats kust extra credit...
There litterally tbousand of situations whee this type of control could be applied but maintaining tbe mevel in a vessle is probably a reasonable choice.
allarm the high and low levels, open and close the drain with a solanoid or two position actuator.. easy tou meet thevrequired IO count.

My best advice, pick something real world that you understand or can visuallise the requirements of then you can concentrate on good code and implimentation as opposed to trying to understand some industrial process that is alian to you.
Also think about how yoh will represent it with simple graphics... Essentally dont pick sometbing that is dificalt to visualise because that makes the HMI work hard.

Al

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
You could do something simple like temperature.
You have 4 rooms.
PLC is in Room 1, keep analog temperature sensor in Room 1. (1 analog sensor is used, check)
Put one digital temperature in each of the remaining rooms, Room 2 gets 1 digital sensor, Room 3 gets 1 digital sensor, Room 4 gets 1 digital sensor. (3 digital sensors are used, check)
The 3 digital outputs could be 3 fans. Or 2 fans and HMI.

SeherMavi

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Thanks for all your advice.
Shtii01, I'm afraid, my teacher doesn't accept this project, he will think that is easy. Because we're not going to control the fan. We say 'work fan' and led will light. So we won't do project, we'll just write with TIA PORTAL and see in the test bed.

Max, we are using ladder diagram, always :)

And DyslexicBloke, I don't fully understand you because your sentences are too long :oops: But I think you say 'inspired by from what I saw around me and create a project. because industrial projects hard for me'. Is that correct?
But I understand your project proposals. They are applicable. Thank you very much.

Sorry I didnt tbink about language...

Choose a project that controls something you know well.

Break the tas as a whole into small functional chunks.

Produce ladder code that performs each small part of the task.

Connect these modules, sets of rungs, to complete the overall task.

It will help to draw it first as a functional block diagram.

I do this for a living but my ladder code is long, complex and controlling hydroelectric generators.
I expect you dont know much about hydro generation so it would be a poor choice of project.

Al

SeherMavi

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Sorry I didnt tbink about language...

I do this for a living but my ladder code is long, complex and controlling hydroelectric generators.
I expect you dont know much about hydro generation so it would be a poor choice of project.

Al
Ohh DyslexicBloke, you are very good person :) I know how hydroelectric generators work. Can we do it this way:
I pick up the hydroelectric generator for the project. And I'll try writing as I know. When I can't do, I''ll see your project. So my project will be more simple from your project. Maybe some parts never will be. If that's ok with you, we''ll do like this.